cement straight onto soil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

i am building a small 4 inch wall type thing that will be arced - bit like a letter ' n ' - can i put the "quite dry and maliable" cement mix straight onto "hard soil / ground" or do i need gravel , compost etc.

the wall is really to seal-in and hide the edge of a a pool liner at the top of a small outdoor bath / pool. (in spain).

Sponsored Links
All mortar walls no matter how small need some sort of stable foundation or the small movement will crack the joints.

Even a 4 inch thick strip of concrete would be plenty for your plans

All mortar walls no matter how small need some sort of stable foundation or the small movement will crack the joints.

by stable you mean i can place cement onto hard ground (spanish soil), or should i add some gravel / stones onto the hard ground first?

thanks

No sorry if i wasn;t clear, you need a foundation. No matter how hard you think the ground is unless its solid rock its not stable enough.

Use a small concrete foundation as i suggested

Sponsored Links
No sorry if i wasn;t clear, you need a foundation. No matter how hard you think the ground is unless its solid rock its not stable enough.

Use a small concrete foundation as i suggested

forgive me, i am not too good at DIY, but if i use a "concrete foundation," then surely, how is that attached to the ground (hard soil) ? that itself would be cement onto the ground would it not?

Firstly cement is nothing on its own Its merely part of concretes and mortars

You build bricks using mortar which is sand + cement

Concrete is used for a foundation which is sand + Stone + cement.

Mortar is not suitable as a foundation because it is to weak when used in a thickness above 30mm or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back