cement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anybody tell me if I have to use a specific type of cement to repair a chimney the top sixteen rows have to be redone. thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
you mean mortar?

Mortar
The most appropriate mortar mixes for chimney construction will depend on the durability classification of the bricks and the risk of the brickwork becoming saturated. It is strongly recommended that sulphate-resisting cement is used because of the presence of soluble sulphates in flue gas condensation. Table 14 in BS 5628 part 3: 2001 describes the most suitable mortar mixes. Flush, bucket handle or weathered mortar joints are all suitable for chimney stacks and terminals but recessed joints should be avoided.

Read more: http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=1024897#ixzz0MlDRNWWq

can anybody tell me if I have to use a specific type of cement to repair a chimney the top sixteen rows have to be redone. thanks
Joe
i cant comment on the product you will use, but i would urge you to be cautious to confirm none of the stuff falls into the fireplace/boiler/appliance etc as it could block the flue.
i have been called to some appliances where chimney work has been done and something has fallen down and partially blocked the appliance flue. when the chimney is connected to a gas appliance it is always better to get a gas engineer disconnect the appliance during the work and have him reconnect and test after the work to confirm it is safe to use again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back