Cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is probably a stupid question but can you use cement on it's own (ie mixed with water) or do you always have to use it mixed with aggregates to make concrete?

Sponsored Links
I know this is probably a stupid question but can you use cement on it's own (ie mixed with water) or do you always have to use it mixed with aggregates to make concrete?

you can do but it depends what your using it for,
if its is for plastering then dont, use sand and lime,

Cement mixed with water alone produces a brittle material that when brought in contact with other materials, loses its water content quickly, thus weakening it further.

Sponsored Links

you can do but it depends what your using it for,
if its is for plastering then dont, use sand and lime,

Am intrigued - the only use for neat cement I have ever needed was as a primer of sorts when bonding to either natural stone slabs or new concrete over old. What else is there?

u cn use cerment for loads off things,
cerment is not just used for hard surfaces,
you can mix it in with sum ova stuff to make them go hard n stay longer,

in sum stuff cerment is a key ingrediant, ig sand and lime 1:1:6
1 part lime, 1 part cerment n 6 parts sand,

Neat cement was used by some tradesmen for the joints on salt glazed drainage, although a strong sand/cement mix was a better option as neat tended to shrink away from the pipe slightly when setting.

u cn use cerment for loads off things,
No kidding Sherlock! :rolleyes:

cerment is not just used for hard surfaces,
you can mix it in with sum ova stuff to make them go hard n stay longer,

in sum stuff cerment is a key ingrediant, ig sand and lime 1:1:6
1 part lime, 1 part cerment n 6 parts sand

Eh!!!!? This is a forum not a phone text conversation, you are allowed to use English when ever you please.

The original posters question was "can you use cement on its own". Geddit?

Good job you are a plasterer and not an English teacher! Tragick speelling!

Thanks for asking the question
(I didn't think it was dumb)

I have a dumb question:
How bad are these substances for your skin?
Cement
Concrete
Mortar
Lime
Sand

(my reason for asking is that the builders left a load of unused materials in my garden and I was wondering if I could do something useful with them Eg: Let the kids play in the sand)

Let them play in the sand till the cows come home.

Let them play with the lime and they could be blind and wailing in pain relatively quickly depending on type.

Playing with hardened mortar or concrete is fine for their skin but less so for their toes.

Handling cement with damp hands will give you very dried out skin and blistering/ low level skin burns if handled for a long time.

if they play in builders sand they will also turn yellow like after they have eaten a bag of wotsits!!!!! I made that school boy error when filling a sand pit up for mine once.... haha

You can use cement on an old damp rag to clean things, such as mould off fridge door seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back