Cemented tiles on kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has removed all the tiles on his kitchen floor. Unfortunately the tiles had been cemented directly onto what looks like an MDF floor. He has tried to remove the cement but there are still patches of uneven cement remaining across the floor. The tiler has said he must remove more of the cement for the new tiles to be laid but this has proved almost impossible. Is there any tool or any way of doing this?

Sponsored Links
Ideally you do not want to be laying tiles on a mdf board.
It should be marine grade ply well screwed down.
If you can rip it up and replace it will pay for its self in the longterm or have you not seen what happens to mdf when it gets wet.
Pete

Thankyou. My son has lived in the house for about a year and decided to change the kitchen. He was advised by the carpenter to remove the tiles because they were in a poor condition. At that stage he had no idea of the type of floor or the fact that the tiles had been cemented directly onto the floor. The floor does seem fairly sturdy so it may not be MDF (it just looked similar to my untutored eye). It is laid in large sheets and seems fairly secure. The kitchen fitter has started to fit the units onto the floor but he is also doing the floor tiling and has told my son he needs to remove all the lumps of cement so I don't think it would now be possible to replace the floor. However it is proving difficult to get the lumps of concrete up.

Sponsored Links
Hammer and bolster the big bits off and maybe lay a thin sheet of ply ontop to give a level surface.
You can use various resins to bond the sheet along with stainless/moisture resistant screws.
Or self leveling compound.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back