Cental Heating Upgrade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Potterton Netaheat Electronic boiler with a Landis & Gyr RWB2 programmer dial unit. It has recently had a new pump installed (attic) but the engineer said the boiler was fine.

Any thoughts on when the boiler should be renewed please? It is working fine at the moment. It was here when the property came on the market about 25 years ago.

Thanks,

Owen

Sponsored Links
Yup, probably best to keep it whilst it is till going fine, there isn't a lot to go wrong with old boilers anyway.

It is unsurprisingly, a pretty inefficient boiler by modern standards a pretty typical 65% according to the SEBUK database http://www.boilers.org.uk/cgi-local...lectronic&fthr=16/22&ffou=000659&in_blank=123

But payback time on energy savings in general is pretty long on boilers, though it does depend on your heating bills of course. And you won't get the full efficiency of a new condensing boiler on an old system.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks,

A new pump in the attic has put paid to the noisiness of late :)

Any idea what these control sliders do on the right hand side of the Landis & Gyr timer please?

centralheatingsliders_zps59e2ca26.jpg

It says 'press and slide' by them, but they will also move just by sliding along and without pressing.

But what do they do, are they on/off switches?

The orange led lights seem to be operated by sliding them in either direction :eek: The trouble is, there was no manual for the timer unit, so it is hit and miss with them. There is no clue as to what position moving them to will actually do - slide to the right, or to the middle, or to the left?

Best regards.

You should take that to the antiques road show. :LOL:

The sliders just select exactly what they say from the possibilities.

Tony

I grew up in a house that had these controls. From memory, I recall that they were an over-ride and switched on the HW and CH. Regards Mutley56

Why does central heating have to have a payback? No other regular household items do. Sometimes even the property itself doesn't 'pay back'.
Tell that to the millions of people up to their eyeballs in mortgage debt on the promise of rising property prices, next 10 years will be interesting.

Why does central heating have to have a payback? No other regular household items do. Sometimes even the property itself doesn't 'pay back'.
Tell that to the millions of people up to their eyeballs in mortgage debt on the promise of rising property prices, next 10 years will be interesting.

That's the same point as I'm making you fool.

I think with a boiler of that age planned maintenance is better than reactive, sooner or later it will need replacing you just have to decide if it will be on your terms or the boilers (I.e middle of winter when you can't get hold of a decent installer).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back