Central Heating Additives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.
I've recently installed a new towel rail into my bathroom but I had to move existing radiator pipes so the system has been drained down. (Combi boiler)
I was wondering what I need to add into my system before I re-pressurise? I've seen things like, anti-corrosion, anti-bang, noise reducing but nothing that does everything. What is recommended? I have a screwfix and tool station plus loads of other supplies within 10 miles. Also is it easy to put in? I was thinking of taking out the blank on the top left of my towel radiator and putting it in there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with additives if I were you... there is scant evidence that they don't cause issues later down the line...

I would recommend using sentinel x100. Treats a system up to 9 rads, if you have more then buy another. When you add it to the system I would use a funnel as you don't want it going everywhere. If you have towel rad top it up from their.

I wouldn't bother with additives if I were you... there is scant evidence that they don't cause issues later down the line...

excuse me !!

i'll give you the benifit of the doubt as i think you have mis-read.

X100 in the top of the towel rail & refit the bleed nipple

Sponsored Links
Op - as you sound adept with doing some pipework, have you considered installing a magnaclean or spirovent on the return near the boiler before you finish up, add inhibitor and get back to normal life? ;)

No you read right... There is scant evidence that additives do not cause issues later.

A sealed system prevents corrosion because the oxygen in the system when filled reacts with the steel once.

Additives are not used in Germany although they are beginning to treat water with filters...

And then there are the expanding boiler components when you add inhibitors..

Best avoided in my opinion....

don't you just love someone who doesn't know what they are talking about then tries to give incorrect advice

There is scant evidence that additives do not cause issues later.
scant - barely sufficient (Oxford Dictionary)

So you are saying that there is very little evidence that additives do not cause issues later, which is not the same thing as saying they do cause issues later!

I can only talk from experience as the 4 (out of 250 or so) of my installations that have developed issues have all had inhibitor in the system

Those that don't are to date just fine...but they do have dirt seperators...

my hope is that we can have a discussion about the effectiveness of inhibitors with a view to giving good advice...

lets not get personal CBF....

the english was purposefully ambiguous... I am sure you can see why..questions do need to be asked about additives..or more importantly questions need to be asked about the benefts of not using them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back