Central Heating Additives

what do i do ? for a living or heating systems ?

i powerflush before a boiler change then fit a magnaclean on the return to the boiler & use x100.

inhibitors are req by everyone they aren't just a sales patter, yes they do req the level of inhibitor to be checked but that is down to loss or dilution of inhibitor not because it only lasts for a year

Sponsored Links
I would recommend using sentinel x100. Treats a system up to 9 rads, if you have more then buy another. When you add it to the system I would use a funnel as you don't want it going everywhere. If you have towel rad top it up from their.

Hi

Do i just drain the system down enough to get the additive in the towel rad then re-pressureise or do i need to drain the entire system? Ive been advised about x400 to clean. do i need that or can i just put the x100 straight in? My system is all leak free and pressureised to 1.5bar so im ready to go
Many thanks

I would recommend using sentinel x100. Treats a system up to 9 rads, if you have more then buy another. When you add it to the system I would use a funnel as you don't want it going everywhere. If you have towel rad top it up from their.

Hi

Do i just drain the system down enough to get the additive in the towel rad then re-pressureise or do i need to drain the entire system? Ive been advised about x400 to clean. do i need that or can i just put the x100 straight in? My system is all leak free and pressureised to 1.5bar so im ready to go
Many thanks
If the old water was reasonalby clear, then there's no need to clean it out. You only need to empty it enough to get the additive in. Still reckon you should get a magnaclean or equivalent fitted.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF
So 1 litre of x100 in the towel radiator? Then how long does that make the system good for until I should do it again?

Sponsored Links
the level can be checked at the annual service or you can get a test kit to do it yourself, IF no water is drained/leaks ie you don't ever have to top up the system pressure (perfect world) then it will last longer than your boiler/heating system but as we all know it isn't a perfect world & you will have to top up the pressure at some stage that's why you check annually for the correct dose

Apart from considerations already mentioned, a few more factors:
- you never know if a system is going to need topping up, most rad valves probably leak very slightly, etc
- good inhibitors are designed to help with several other problems too
- filters should also be checked annually
- a major constituent of the flakes which block plate heat exchangers isn't stopped by magnetic or particle filters because it's in solution, precipitating out when the water cools in the hex.

I suppose there are some who would refuse to use a seat belt because it might strangle them in the event of an accident.

I am also of the belief that inhbitors are largely unnecessary in sealed systems. There is no supply of oxygen to aid corrosion, and whenever I work on a system thats been sealed and installed correctly from day one, I find the water and system clean and free from any serious sludge issues. Lets face it how many systems have the correct amount of inhibitor in them as we speak? Probably a tiny amount, and yet the only time we have to deal with sludge is on badly installed and open systems.

That said I still use inhbitor on all new installs simply to satisfy MIs and customers like to see it.
The same goes for Scale devices, they don't work period, but I still find myself fitting them to satisfy the warranty conditions. Such a waste of money but I don't make the rules unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back