Central Heating advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a Glow-worm Space saver 38 providing hot water and heating to my house, whilst I've now complaints about the heat dished out by the central heating/water around my house, the central heating is a little clunky/noisy when running.

Whilst I can see the boiler is getting on a little, would me getting the heating serviced assist in the quietness/operation of the system, or would I be best to look at getting the boiler replaced. I'd like to keep costs to a minimum, but am thinking of renting the property out in the next few months, so really want to minimise the risk of anything breaking down etc.....

Anybody have any recommendations of plumbers in Nottingham who might be able to assist/provide quote.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Servicing won't silence the boiler.

Clunking is due to scale and sludge building up. You'll need a powerflush at the least.

If you are renting it out then you'll need a mandatory landlord's gas safety inspection every 12 months. This should include a service, although some will do one without - which seems very silly to me.

Without seeing the boiler I can not comment on its condition, but if you are charging rent then the tenants will expect a reliable efficient system. Not some wreck that could keep going out in bad weather.

Comments like "I'd like to keep costs to a minimum, but am thinking of renting the property out in the next few months" are very common and send shivers down the spines of reputable engineers.

It would be worth your while bringing the system up to scratch before you move out - whether that means replacing or overhauling (note not "servicing") the system will depend on it's condition. But investing it now will pay dividends during thge rental period.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply.

It looks like the powerflush is the route I'll take to get the system cleaned out, I'll try and get this done over the next month or so in prep for the impending winter.

Although in the 2 1/2 years I've lived in the property I've had no issues with the heating system, would there be a ballpark figure it would cost to get the system replaced? I currently have the boiler, plus water cylinder and tank in the loft, am I right in thinking a modern combi-boiler would replace all 3 and provide me with a much more modern system?

What is the likely cost of this work?

Sponsored Links
It would, without changing the heating piopes and rads you wouldn't see much change from £3000

But this is heavily dependant of too many factors for that to be a reliable figure.

House location (geographically)
Gas supply?
Boiler location?
Works neede to remove cylinder and alter the pipe layout?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back