central heating and radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully this is a simple and cheap one !

I have a baxi back boiler with 7 radiators running off it. recently the dining room radiator is stone cold all the others seem ok. I have not adjusted any of the rads lately and have tried bleeding this one but seems ok.
If i shut off all the other rads the dining room will warm up , im thinking blockage.

Any help would be great , any things i could try which would help eliminate other problems

Cheers Ben

Sponsored Links
So when you turn off all the other rads, and the cold one heats up, what happens when you ppen all the ther rads again?

yeah thats correct , it goes cold again. iv now turned off 3 up stairs and it seem to be warm.

When its cold the pipe on the return side is warm .

Is this pointing to a slight blockage? is it worth taking rad off and flushing?

Sponsored Links
Turn all the others off, put pump on full speed and let it run for a few minutes. If the dining room rad gets red hot, then hopefully any restriction should have been pushed through. Turn others back on slowly, maybe just needs a slight balance to get enough flow to dining room rad. (Balancing instructions in FAQ's.)

not sure what is going on! if i turn down the rads upstairs i can get the dining room one pretty warm but as soon as i open the upstairs ones again i lose heat. Iv now opened up the balancing valve in the dining room to max and still makes no difference. Am i right in thinking build up of sludge sediment etc? Never had to adjust them before.

I brought some fernox and looking at flushing this into the system leave it there for a week or so and then drain .
what do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back