Central Heating Boiler Flue Dripping Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had an extension to my house and the central heating boiler has been moved to the garage. The flue from the boiler runs up at an angle then through the garage roof.

The problem I have is that water is dripping out of the flue where there is a bend. This only appears to happen when the boiler is first turned on. The chap who installed the flue keeps saying that there should be no water in the flue, but does not seem to be providing ideas on how to prevent it.

I would be grateful for your opinions on this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you get water vapour in the products of combustion. when the boiler is on the exhaust gas's are blown out down the inner 50mm flue duct. so you shouldn't have water dripping unless the inner flue isn't connected correctly.

Sponsored Links
compheat said:
you get water vapour in the products of combustion. when the boiler is on the exhaust gas's are blown out down the inner 50mm flue duct. so you shouldn't have water dripping unless the inner flue isn't connected correctly.

compheat,

Thanks.

It might be the wrong type of terminal and water is getting in that way

The boiler should be a condensing boiler (to comply with building regulations) so it is quite normal for condensate to form in the flue duct as well as the boiler heat exchanger.

This condensate should run back down the flue duct to the boiler where it will be discharged down the condensate pipe. It is possible that the flue duct (and air duct) have been assembled "upside down" so the male-female joints point the wrong way causing the condensate to leak out.

We could use some more info - make and model of boiler, diameter of the flue pipe (to determine if it is a combined flue/air duct or just a flue), also was the installer Corgi registered? A picture of the flue pipe would be helpful.

if its a camray. i can tell you.

if not , ill wind me neck in.

:p

Ah yes, I was assuming that you have a gas boiler, but of course it's probably oil (merchant banker = big country house?), so my comments about condensing boilers may not be relevant. Nevertheless the water is almost certainly condensate and may need to be collected in a suitable flue fitting to avoid nuisance and damage (condensate being mildly acidic).

chrishutt said:
Ah yes, I was assuming that you have a gas boiler, but of course it's probably oil (merchant banker = big country house?), so my comments about condensing boilers may not be relevant. Nevertheless the water is almost certainly condensate and may need to be collected in a suitable flue fitting to avoid nuisance and damage (condensate being mildly acidic).

chrisnutt,

It is a gas boiler, so I think the responses I have had to this problem are probably correct.

BTW merchant banker = rhyming slang ;) and I have a very minor role in an investment bank in London

merchant-banker said:
I have a very minor role in an investment bank in London
At least you'll have no trouble making tea for your plumber ;) .

merchant_banker said:
chrishutt said:
Ah yes, I was assuming that you have a gas boiler,
chrisnutt,

It is a gas boiler, so I think the responses I have had to this problem are probably correct.

BTW merchant banker = rhyming slang :LOL: :LOL: There is a type of silicone that is heat resistant and for flues :idea: The fitter is telling you there is no water because you had your original boiler moved,yes? and not a new condensing one fitted...........he needs to come back and seal the pipe joints.or another Gas CORGI fitter to do it. I was a master baker `tll my eyesight went.then I did plumbing ;)

Cake -?? Give him your very minor role - and butter.

I assume you're a Wit of a Banker?

I have this problem as well, and assumed that seeing as I had a condensing boiler, its very cold, and theres lots of steam coming out it is just condensed water vapour, eg water!
It doesn't pour out but every now and then it will drip.
Is this just steam turned to water through natural occurances or is it "condensate" acidic stuff?

I have a vaillant eco-tec pro 28 with the flue kit that should be used for that boiler attatched.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back