Central Heating Capacity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a calculator, or a rough rule of thumb I can use to calculate the capacity of my central heating system?

I have a bottle of Sentinel X700 biocide and it says;
systems should be dosed at a rate of 1 litre of Sentinel X700 to every 300 litres of system volume

I have no idea what capacity my system would be at the moment, so I don't know if I need to use a full bottle to treat the system, and then another full bottle when I refill, or whether half a bottle each time would be sufficient.
Normally I would just put in a whole bottle as all these things seem to say that over-dosing won't cause a problem to the system, however with X700 over-dosing will cause a problem with my wallet, so if I can use just half that is worth knowing!

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
A typical semi with 7-11 rads has a capacity of about 80 litres!

Why do you feel the need to use biocide?

Tony

Excellent, cheers :)

I have 8 rads of various sizes, so it sounds like half a bottle would be plenty :)

As for why I've got the Biocide that came from this thread: Manky Gunk in F/E Tank!

I've already cleaned out the F/E tank once, but will check the state of it again before doing anything and give it another scrub if needed.
The course of action I have then had recommended to me is this;

- Drain down the system from all points (bail out the FE tank first so as to avoid it's contents being sucked into the system!).
- Fill & Clean (with X400)
- Drain and flush.
- Fill with X700 biocide (thanks to this thread I'll now use just half the bottle!)
- Drain and flush
- Fill with X100 (Inhibitor), X200 (for hardwater areas), and X700 (to prevent re-contamination) (this is where I'll use the other half bottle)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back