Central heating cuts out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Problem with central heating, hot water ok

Boiler is Thorn Olympic 38/50CF (very old) which has hot water thermostat incorporated under sliding door on front of boiler. Separate timer unit which has "timed", "off" and "constant" switch (switchmaster 300) on wall next to boiler. There is no switch for HW or CH. Boiler is mounted on an internal wall. I can only find one 2 way valve. Four radiators upstairs and four downstairs.
The wall (CH) thermstat has been replaced in last 12 months (I think) to try and cure this problem.

The problem
The boiler turns itself off before the temperature reaches the (CH) thermostat setting, it will fire again a few minutes later and run for a while, but doesn't get the rooms up to more than about 17 C. The radiators get quite warm, but not hot.
When the boiler turns itself off, if I turn the HW thermostat up, boiler fires and radiators get much hotter.

I've had this problem in a previous house (twice in 20 yrs) and I changed the 3 way valve, which sorted it.
This set up only seems to have one 2 way valve, I thought there should be two for HW and CH?

So I don't think I understand how this system works, but I think I should start with the 2 way valve? I would appreciate your advice.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back