Central heating estimate of cost?

T

teaboyjim

What's a rough cost for a central heating engineer/plumber to install central heating pipes and radiators in an empty 4 bedroom mid terraced house without replacing the combi boiler?
Would £1,500 be anywhere close to realistic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
why would you not replace the boiler Adam ?
Thanks for your reply Ian. The boiler is a Baxi 105e - I've been told that if I clean the Baxi 105e then this can't contaminate the rest of the new central heating installation - Do you agree?

Sponsored Links
baxi 105E was a decent boiler in its day but getting on a bit now, if it was me I would get a new one

What sort of powered combi would I need to heat a 4 bedroomed fairly large house and roughly what sort of money should I budget to cover it?

Before the days of Combi boiler I had two boilers one for central heating and one for domestic hot water is was called a Main 7, and it was I think 18 kW, and for a 3 bedroom house this was ample, although slow filling a bath. Before fitting the central heating the house was fitted with a single gas fire, open plan house so did heat all rooms, this was 4.5 kW. It was not thermostatic controlled and with bedroom doors closed the bedrooms were cold, so central heating was fitted.

But you need very little power to maintain the heat in a well insulated home, I now live in a three story house with an 18 kW oil boiler and within an hour the boiler is cycling off/on.

A large radiator is around 3.5 kW, smaller rooms can be down to 1 kW, so if I add together all the radiators in the main house, I am looking at around 18 kW, if the flat under the house is used OK higher, but today really the radiators should be around double the size of the boiler as we only use radiators in rooms being used, so really I need larger radiators in both living room and kitchen as I as it stands can't heat the house fast as the radiators are not big enough.

And it is speed of heating from a eco setting to comfort setting not the maintaining of the house temperature. There is no point in having geofencing to turn on heating if it takes 3 hours to heat rooms first occupied on arriving home, in the main we have ½ hour to reheat first rooms to be used when using geofencing, so the kitchen, dinning room, and living room need to be able to use whole output of boiler, bedrooms are not used until latter and by that time the kitchen, dinning and living room are just ticking over.

So maximum demand in any house is likely the shower, bath does not matter if it takes longer to fill, and so a shower needs around 16 kW standard, 24 kW with side spray units, as to two showers running together I have never tried. So the 18 kW oil boiler is ample for this three story house, 5 bedrooms, two kitchens, two living rooms, dinning room, two bathrooms and a shower room, although the showers are electric in two locations only one from DHW if this house can run on 18 kW can't see why any smaller house would need more.

You'll need that before specifying a boiler if you go for a combi or an unvented cylinder

I'm going to be trying to do the project management so I'll be discussing this type of thing with the heating engineer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back