it ain't central heating, but....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've moved a lot and lived long and have had gas central heating, backboiler coal-fired central heating, free standing anthracite-fired central heating, oil central heating, and economy seven storage radiators.

Of the lot, the storage radiators have proved, overall, to be the best. They are cheap to buy and easy to install. They can be moved to different positions without too much trouble. Above all they require no maintenance. There are no boilers to break down; no pumps to fail; no valves to jam; no joints to leak; no pipes to pinhole; no radiators to gunge up; no inhibitor to be added; and no service engineers to be in for and paid.

Now they are dear to run but a close attention to the weather forecasts can help minimise this. Having kept rough figures over the years I'm pretty sure that the costs roughly equal themselves out, given a reasonable time span. I could be corrected on this by someone with accurate costings but, even if this were to be the case, I certainly wouldn't change. It ain't central heating but the sheer hassle free convenience wins out for me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back