it ain't the real thing, just better?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had lots of houses and about every form of central heating. I've had it fed off a coal backburner, off a free standing anthracite stove, off a gas boiler, and off an oil boiler. I've also had a full complement of economy 7 storage radiators, which is what I've opted for in my present place.

I've found that that economy 7 heaters just go on and on without trouble, in contrast to the pumps jamming, boilers failing, pipes pinholing, joints leaking and radiators sludging up, etc, that I've had with wet systems. You certainly don't have to wait in for boiler services, repairmen, and coal and oil deliveries.

Now I do admit that electric heaters are dear to run. But they are cheap to buy and easy to install and, from my experience, need no maintenance. I'm sure that if it were possible to cost out wet systems against economy 7 seven storage radiators, there would be little in it over the long term.

Until I'm shown differently, I'm going with their hassle free warmth.

Best,

Sponsored Links
Good for you, glad your choice suits your needs. Another issue with storage heaters is control. What if there's a cold snap. are you warm enough?

Hello Slippyr4,

This can be a bit of a problem but close attention paid to the weather forecast for my area solves it, mostly. Last night I turned them up because there was a good frost forecast and we don't need any supplementary heating today at all.

The worst thing about storage radiators is when you come back to a cold house after having been away. You obviously have to wait for a night to elapse before normal warmth is restored. However, I have a separate night rate control switch in the outside fuse box and now ask my very good neighbour to turn it back on a day before we come home. Problem solved!

buy a ferrari and get there fast. buy a lada and get there slow. either way u will get there in the end . P.s the ferrari stops quicker aswell.

Sponsored Links
Oh no back to the seventies...we'll have underfloor heating making a comeback next.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back