central heating extension into loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to convert the loft space in my house into 2 bedrooms. I was planning on carrying out the extension of the central heating system myself. However, my architect has told me that this has to be carried out by a heating engineer and also inspected by one prior to building regs being passed. Is there any way around this??

Sponsored Links
Any work on any gas fitting eg hob/boiler/fire etc can only be carried out by a registered gas installer.

However as far as I know any plumbing not involving gas fittings can be done by the homeowner provided he gets Building Control to inspect and approve the works.

Or alternatively a registered plumber can be used to do the works who can self certify.

Thanks for the reply.

The boiler is oil fired (live out in the sticks). However, I will only be extending the radiators up to the third floor 1 rad in each bedroom. I have already extended the system down stairs by adding 2 rads. They all work fine. I also know that the boiler and pump can handle the extra as I had the original system designed with the loft extension in mind. If I get the council to inspect will I have to pay or would that be part of the service?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back