central heating filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Combi system.
Boiler is a Vaillant VCW GB 242 EH. fitted Aug 1993.

The gasboard came to service our heating today. All was OK but he offered to install a kind of filtering system that fitted between the flow & return, cost would be £250.

He claimed that it would stop a sludge build up in the rads. and it could be used to introduce other additives.

Question :- Does anyone know what this filter is?

Also I have been told in the past NOT to use additives (Fenox ?) in this type of heating system.

Sponsored Links
it would of been a Magnaclean. If you haven't had any problems then you don't need it. Sealed systems shouldn't generally suffer with corrosion so its not worth it. Having Inhibitor wouldn't do any harm.

if u havent had any problems u dont need it....the whole point of a filter is to prevent problems,just because its sealed sytem doesnt mean it wont have muck in it,if its over 10 years old and no inhibitor put in it its highly likely it will have plenty of sludge in system,prevention is better than cure,i definently recommend one but u will be able to get someone to fit it for cheaper,they generally retail for around 80 quid ish :)

i forgot 2 mention u can use fernox inhibitor in ure system,it is added to help reduce the corrosion process in central heating system,the magnaclean in a nutshell is a big magnet in a cannistor,the sludge in central heating systems is magnetic and as it passes thru magnaclean it sticks to the magnet,u can then remove magnet and clean it,helping to keep system clean

Sponsored Links
10 years old and no inhibitor put in it its highly likely it will have plenty of sludge in system,prevention is better than cure,i definently recommend one but u will be able to get someone to fit it for cheaper,they generally retail for around 80 quid ish around 80 quid ish :)[/quote]

When the rads are bled there is a trace of black in the water.

I would fit the filter myself as it was me that fitted the system originally 17 years ago.

I am retired now and getting a little creeky but can still solder a few copper joints together.

Is Magnaclean a type of filter or the maker. or can anyone recomend the make & brandname required?

Thank you all for the help.

Magnaclean is a brand, though most people seem to call them Magnacleans regardless of the brand.

There's a new one on the market known as the Fernox TF1 which seems to be very highly regarded however as it's new it's not quite as well established.

The price seems awfully high though. To give you a guideline mine cost me £120 including fitting (although I was having a new boiler as well so they might have charged more JUST for the Magnaclean) or you can buy them online for about £80 and fit them yourself relatively easily.

Straightforward 2 fit,it comes with compression fittings,cut a chunk of pipe out and away u go!magnaclean is made by adey heating solutions,there are other filters on market,everybody has their favourites,i personally like these cos they can hold the most sludge

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
i forgot 2 mention u can use fernox inhibitor in ure system,it is added to help reduce the corrosion process in central heating system,

Could you use Bluecol car antifreeze in the radiator system? as this stops corrosion in a car radiator system, which is basically the same thing and would also protect against frost

Could you use Bluecol car antifreeze in the radiator system? as this stops corrosion in a car radiator system, which is basically the same thing and would also protect against frost

You are a rebel arent you ? I bet you use Mr muscle bathroom cleaner in the kitchen and vice versa.

Yes it would do the job but a lot of time has been spent on research of these additives so I reckon it wouldnt do as good a job as proper system inhibitor.

Ethylene glycol is more of an anti freeze than an inhibitor and what you need is inhibitor more than anti freeze

You are a rebel arent you ? I bet you use Mr muscle bathroom cleaner in the kitchen and vice versa.

You've been peeping through my window. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back