Central Heating Flush Contemplation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per heading I'm contemplating flushing and treating my Central Heating system as on changing a radiator last week I noticed the water was extremely sludged up. I'm a fairly accomplished DIYer but having read the instructions on this HSS device:

http://www.hss.com/imagshop/guides/og_956.pdf

I'm getting a little concerned as to whether this is going to be a nightmare! It mentions starting at the nearest radiator to the diverter/zone valve which will be difficult if not almost impossible to find which is which bar ripping up my flooring to follow the pipework!

It also mentions disconnecting the boiler, would this be an easy procedure?

Many thanks in advance! ;)

Sponsored Links
the question is? does your heating work at the moment?

if yes, think of a dammed good excuse why you fooked it up by reading ****e on here and thought it was a good idea, in the middle of one of the coldest winters for years.

or go ahead and check out the ymca ;)

your not a pro and its a pro job.

chances are pretty slim you will improve things with a powerflush if you don't know how it works.
for one thing, it is done with acid and if you don't know how to apply that, you will do more harm than good

had a quick read of the manual and all it describes, is what I do before I start working on the nasty stuff

Sponsored Links
you could give it a simple DIY clean by circulating Sentinel X400 for 4 weeks with the heating running, then draining it out, rinsing and refilling using a corrosion inhibitor such as Sentinel X100

The chemicals will cost you £15 each and it will just take a few hours of your time

If you are fond of DIY plumbing you could fit a Magnaclean as well. I guarantee you will be amazed and delighted to see how much sediment it traps. It will cost you about £100.

Thanks for the responses. I am now looking at the "calling in the pro's" route. Been quoted £360 including VAT for a "powerflush" and £160 for fitting a magnaclean or £60 just for fitment if I supply it.

Does this sound reasonable? I know BG charge £670 combined for the same job but they're always usually more expensive that mosts as they've got to give the CH agent some commission! Anything I should be looking for as a good guide that the person is "up to the job", I take it it'll be an all dayer for whoever takes it on. :confused:

Thanks for the responses. I am now looking at the "calling in the pro's" route. Been quoted £360 including VAT for a "powerflush" and £160 for fitting a magnaclean or £60 just for fitment if I supply it.

Does this sound reasonable? I know BG charge £670 combined for the same job but they're always usually more expensive that mosts as they've got to give the CH agent some commission! Anything I should be looking for as a good guide that the person is "up to the job", I take it it'll be an all dayer for whoever takes it on. :confused:

BG engineer who quotes the powerflush would get roughly £6, before tax. hardly a ransom.

the reason BG flush is more expensive is its guaranteed for life. no one else will offer that for you. also £670 is the wrong price, iirc its £698 including magnaclean, £592 without.

You've decided not to go the DIY route then? X400 is very easy. Nothing to stop you paying hundreds for a powerflush later if you still need it.

Supply and fit a Magnaclean for £160 sound very fair. Try to get the later model with the filter as well as the magnet (I don't know the market price for them)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back