Central Heating for pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone is coming next week to fit some valves onto the central heating to create a new central heating zone. ie. A radiator circuit that can be controlled separately to the rest of the house. Hopefully the valves should be installed near the hot water cylinder. The pipes will then leave the house via the roof and run down to the bottom of the garden where the pond is into a heat exchanger.
Will I be able to use 22mm plastic pipes straight from the valves? And will they be ok run outside with insulation?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Someone is coming next week to fit some valves onto the central heating to create a new central heating zone. ie. A radiator circuit that can be controlled separately to the rest of the house. Hopefully the valves should be installed near the hot water cylinder. The pipes will then leave the house via the roof and run down to the bottom of the garden where the pond is into a heat exchanger.
Will I be able to use 22mm plastic pipes straight from the valves? And will they be ok run outside with insulation?

You'd be much better having a plate heat exchanger within your home & then have a water gylcol mix going to the Pond, to give some frost protection. Have you got any details of the Pond heater/heat exchanger?

Stop wasting money and buy a pond heater.

Andy

You mean an electric heater? I would need a 3kW one which would obviously use a lot of electricity. The reason for using gas is to save money.

It's the pond that's being heated, probably to only 10 degree's.

I will be using a heat exchanger similar to these, probably the 100,000 or 130,000 one:
http://www.coastal-koi.com/shopping.php?class_id=69

I haven't heard of a plate heat exchanger, I will look into it later, thanks.

Consider that building regulations do not permit extending an existing heating system into a conservatory due to the massive heat loss.

How therefore could extending a heating system into your garden possibly be permitted?

Stop wasting money and buy a pond heater.

Andy

You mean an electric heater? I would need a 3kW one which would obviously use a lot of electricity. The reason for using gas is to save money.

It's the pond that's being heated, probably to only 10 degree's.

I will be using a heat exchanger similar to these, probably the 100,000 or 130,000 one:
http://www.coastal-koi.com/shopping.php?class_id=69

I haven't heard of a plate heat exchanger, I will look into it later, thanks.

Ah, I see the Pont water goes through the Pond heat exchanger you've detailed. Still think it'll be better with a glycol/water mix leaving the house via a plate heat exchanger. Have you considered a solar panel to heat your Pond? Evern to suppliment the House heating system.

Consider that building regulations do not permit extending an existing heating system into a conservatory due to the massive heat loss.

How therefore could extending a heating system into your garden possibly be permitted?

Because gardens aren't buildings and Building Regultions don't apply?

People heat pools and ponds all over the place. You may not approve, but they do.

Because gardens aren't buildings and Building Regultions don't apply?
People heat pools and ponds all over the place. You may not approve, but they do.
It's the extending the house heating system that's the problem, not the heating of the pool. It should have it's own separate heating system.

It's the extending the house heating system that's the problem, not the heating of the pool. It should have it's own separate heating system.

Why? He has a boiler, why can't he use it to heat stuff that he wants to heat or does he have to buy a new boiler for each application? Can you find a piece of legislation that says; " Thou shalt not heat thy pond, nor thy greenhouse, nor thy swimming pool with thy central heating"?

Probably not.

Anti-freeze should be propylene glycol or methanol (or is it ethanol)? Ground source heat pumps use alcohol for anti-freeze.

Plate heat exchangers have narrow water ways but high heat transfer areas. They tend to block if there's any debris in the water, as so many combi boiler owners are finding out to their cost.

If your keeping koi and depending on what reason you want a heated pond ie growth rates etc.
One reason i would never heat my koi pond is it b*ggers up their breeding cycle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back