Central heating/ Hot water problem........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, wonder if anyone can help/advise.
When I switch on the hot water...my radiators get hot as well (still have hot water).I was told that its most likely my 3 way valve which is a Honeywell V4073A1039. Firstly it has a little lever on the underside which has manual/Auto on it....Im assuming this should be in the Auto position?
Ok my next question is that if this could be the culprit..is it acceptable to just replace the head (Pt No.40003916-003) ie so I won't need to drain the system...something I would like to avoid if at all possible.My gut feel is that I should replace the whole thing (cost difference is negligable) as the actual mechanical bits may have wear/ tear....does anyone out there have any opinions?? Cheers AC

Sponsored Links
The valve is passing to the ch port and the best thing in my opinion would be to replace the whole valve.Drain to just below the valve and fit a new one.Refill ,vent the system and wire in the valve.Same colours.

The valve is passing to the ch port and the best thing in my opinion would be to replace the whole valve.Drain to just below the valve and fit a new one.Refill ,vent the system and wire in the valve.Same colours.

Wow!that was quick...many thanks! Ok so when you say drain just below the valve (which is upstairs) do you mean, once the ball cock is locked off, drain until the valve doesnt leak water (I know this sounds obvious but given that I don't want to flood anything I'd best check).Refill and vent: I take it this is freeing up ball cock and bleeding the radiators...yes?I don't need to "pressurise the system" in any way...something I have read about. Also is there a sequence in which the rads need bleeding? is it furthest away from valve first?....Sorry to sound really dumb?!

Sponsored Links
Turn both valves off on your upstairs rads and then you will only need to drain the water in the feed tank and upstairs pipework.

If the valve is reasonably accessible I would usually drain by opening one of the connections on the motor valve.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back