Central heating Install

That's what I thought. Supply and fit full system for £2500? I was charging that in the eighties!

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say that 8 grand may be a bit steep for average sized property. However, if you can get it , why not? This forum is full of installers that almost boast how cheaply they work. Rates never go up unless we all put them up! Common problem, you won't find a couple of dentists arguing how little money they will do a filling for.

For an average 8-10 rad system with a quality boiler such as Vaillant or ATAG I would roughly say £4200 + VAT, add another £300 on for ripping the old system out.

I'm usually thought of as expensive as well :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Guys guys :LOL: £8000 includes boiler, rads, pipes, trv`s, shieldlocks, labour, i did a total replacement two weeks ago for £7500 in which i had to rip out the entire old system and replace it with all new work, this is believe it or not half the other quote the guy was given :)
In fact looking at johnjbs quote made me laugh, cost of decent boiler around £1000 so you`d d othe rads plus copper pipe + all other fittings + labour for 1500 quid would you?

for £8k i'd the job in Scotland! £3.0k - £3.5k tops round here and the poles will do it for £2k!

for £8k i'd the job in Scotland! £3.0k - £3.5k tops round here and the poles will do it for £2k!
Jesus christ, it would not be possible to do it for 2k the materials come to more than that. Even 3 to 3.5 is way to low i believe, to replace the entire system you are looking at 2 to 2.5k in materials doing such a large job for one grand is insane. Were do you live that prices are so low?

@ snowlan, sorry to hijack your thread, the layout on your plans looks ok.

In fact looking at johnjbs quote made me laugh, cost of decent boiler around £1000 so you`d d othe rads plus copper pipe + all other fittings + labour for 1500 quid would you?

It all depends on what the customer wants but yes you can install a system for 2.5k. And i still make a decent profit on it! The customer is made aware that for this price all pipework is surface mounted and everything is done to bare minimum. This suits most landlords or people that want to sell the property sharpish.

Boiler/flue/programmer/stat = £670 (WB 28i jnr - not my favourite boiler but it suits the need of the customer that wants a "cheap" system)
7 x Rads = around £200 depending on sizes
6 x TRV's + L/S set = £55
Pipework = £90
Sundries = £100

This leaves around £1400 to cover labour and any extras that may crop up.

Pay 1 mate £80 per day as he's pretty good and can be left to his own devices

Pay another £40 per day for general labouring etc.

Job done in about 1.5 - 2 days.

Like i said this is not the daddy of all systems but serves the purpose of the client. Why quote for a 4k system when all they are concerned with is getting shot of the property.

I will quote to the customers needs.

I would like to know the materials costs for an 8k system in a 3 bed semi though!

OP what part of the country are you in? it maybe that you live in an affluent area so people think you have cash to flash !

I have several customers who have done the pipework and rads etc and usually i go in look round with them decide where everything is to go

while I get on with the boiler/flue/electrics they get on with the rest

Were are you getting your copper pipe from jonjb? £90 for pipeing an entire house? I spent 250 to 300 quid on pipe for the 3 bed house i did (detached house larger than your average semi) so how you do a house with just 90 quids worth of pipe is beyond me.
seven rads for 200 quid? were do you get them? the rads i bought were far from the most expensive but still say you go with cheap kudox ones, medium sizes say 500mm x 600mm, your looking at £240, so still more than your £200. It`s just not possible to bring it in at your prices. And who said my customer wanted a cheap system? I don`t do cheap ****, i give a price and tell them what they will get, i certainly don`t tell people here is a cheap and nasty way of doing it, people (at least the people i do work for) seem to want quality materials which will last.
The total costs for the materials on the job i mentioned came to just under £2500, it took me two weeks to do it.
I had to rip out the old system, bear in mind the house was fully furnished.
Move furniture to lift floorboards and carpets. Lay pipe, pressure test, relay floorboards and carpets. Do this in 3 bedrooms, and upstairs hallway, same crack downstairs, drop pipes down through ceiling to were rads would be, build box, plasterboard box, plaster box. Three rooms downstairs, plus cloakroom and downstairs hall.
Now if you reckon even with a cheap system you could do this amount of work for 3k then your mad. :)

Seriously though would you advise it, i'm just thinking it can't be that hard fitting the pipework, especially these days with push fittings?

Here we go!

There was me thinking about the cost of a job like this and having the figure of about £3500-£4500 in mind as a reasonable cost for a good job.

My thoughts were of course for an installation done in copper with soldered joints.

Now I see that the owner only wants a cheaper job done rather than good quality work.

I go to a lot of boiler repairs where the system is done with plastic and surprise, surprise, its those with the most boiler installation defects.

Very clearly based on what I see, jobs in copper are the best overall.

Tony

Were are you getting your copper pipe from jonjb? £90 for pipeing an entire house? I spent 250 to 300 quid on pipe for the 3 bed house i did (detached house larger than your average semi) so how you do a house with just 90 quids worth of pipe is beyond me.

There is a guy down the road from me called ultimate heating. They do very good deals over the counter and we get discounted on top of their already heavily discounted prices. We only use them for the cheap systems that we install but they serve purpose.

30m x 22mm Cu/60m x 15mm Cu = £90!

seven rads for 200 quid? were do you get them? the rads i bought were far from the most expensive but still say you go with cheap kudox ones, medium sizes say 500mm x 600mm, your looking at £240, so still more than your £200.

They do us any 7 rads (as long as we don't take the pi55) for £200. If alot of larger ones are needed then it can be slightly more but not majorly.

It`s just not possible to bring it in at your prices. And who said my customer wanted a cheap system? I don`t do cheap s**t, i give a price and tell them what they will get, i certainly don`t tell people here is a cheap and nasty way of doing it, people (at least the people i do work for) seem to want quality materials which will last.
The total costs for the materials on the job i mentioned came to just under £2500, it took me two weeks to do it.
I had to rip out the old system, bear in mind the house was fully furnished.
Move furniture to lift floorboards and carpets. Lay pipe, pressure test, relay floorboards and carpets. Do this in 3 bedrooms, and upstairs hallway, same crack downstairs, drop pipes down through ceiling to were rads would be, build box, plasterboard box, plaster box. Three rooms downstairs, plus cloakroom and downstairs hall.
Now if you reckon even with a cheap system you could do this amount of work for 3k then your mad. icon_smile.gif

You seem to be taking me out of context.

There are customers that want cheap jobs done and there are customers that want proper jobs done. I will cater to both needs. To make 1k for 2 days work is fine by me if thats what the customer wants! But as i said before these jobs are done to bare minimum. Pipework is surface mounted (bar the manifold) and no boxing is done, just clipped.

We also tell them what they are getting for their money and do not give them ideas of grandeur. I would rather have the work than the eastern europeans.

On the flip side there are customers that want to spend more and as such get a much tidier job and better quality materials.

I did not say that all the work that you have carried out on that property could be done for 2.5k inc materials but that house, as you stated, is above average. 8k for a 3 bed semi is steep! The job obviously included extras inc building works and plastering etc. That isn't average.

I adapt my business to the customer base and will take a cheely 1k for 2 days!

It also worked in my favour as i had a developer approach me last year who had bought 9 houses all in the same street to refurb and rent out. He wanted them all done as cheap as chips and within a month from start to finish!

They were all first fixes and no carpets etc but 12 days of graft and it turns into just under 10k profit!

We all love to do exceptional work and but there are times when you have to do work that you don't particularly want!!

I go to a lot of boiler repairs where the system is done with plastic and surprise, surprise, its those with the most boiler installation defects.

Very clearly based on what I see, jobs in copper are the best overall.

Why does this occur then, does the plastic directly relate to the boiler faults ?

No, what Tony is trying to say ( and excuse me if i'm wrong Tony ) is that those that choose to install plastic over copper have a lower skill/experience level and tend not to be fully qualified.

He did not mention boiler faults but installation faults on a boiler.

This again is down to lack of skill/experience and qualifications.

The two things always seem to go hand in hand!

I would think £3500.00 would get you a very good job.

Materials £1600-2000. and 4 days for one man tops

Assuming the property is empty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back