Central heating leaking into hot water

the x400 was added to the system via one of the upstairs radiators rather than the exansion tank above the cylinder.

Was the chemical added to your bathroom rad by any chance? I know that in some conventional systems they used to pipe up the bathroom rad to the hot water cylinder rather than the heating system, so you always had a rad hot for drying off towels, even when heating was off.

It does not matter which rad it was added to - it's all one circuit of water whether it is used to heat rads or to heat water in a cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Was the chemical added to your bathroom rad by any chance? I know that in some conventional systems they used to pipe up the bathroom rad to the hot water cylinder rather than the heating system, so you always had a rad hot for drying off towels, even when heating was off.
Don't be ridiculous - how long do you think it would take a radiator to rust through if secondary water were pumped through it?

Kev here is a link that mentions pumped on primatic www.range-cylinders.co.uk/products/primatic/
One of the manufacturers used to have drawing showing pump on return which is matches up to the ones i have seen .
But cant find it now

cheers
if we ever stop learning :LOL: ;)
mind i was always taught you dont put them on gravity primaries with solid fuel as well :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
"Softus"
Don't be ridiculous - how long do you think it would take a radiator to rust through if secondary water were pumped through it?

Sorry, but I`m not being ridiculous.I used to work for a firm with a large contract for a housing association, the systems had been in for years and this is how they had been installed, just because you haven`t witnessed it, doesn`t mean it hasn`t been done. It`s not the way we do things now, same as a hot rod for hot water. Do you know what a hot rod is?

Also how many conventional systems have been running for years without a drop of additive ever being used, they are continually bled, re-filled etc. They are constantly being subjected to re-oxygenated water yet the rads are still going twenty years down the line.

"jamesdean"

I used to work for a firm with a large contract for a housing association, the systems had been in for years and this is how they had been installed
If you say so.

just because you haven`t witnessed it, doesn`t mean it hasn`t been done.
I didn't say that I hadn't witnessed it, nor that it hadn't been done.

Do you know what a hot rod is?
1936-fiat-topolino.jpg

Also how many conventional systems have been running for years without a drop of additive ever being used, they are continually bled, re-filled etc.
I don't know how many.

they are continually bled, re-filled etc. They are constantly being subjected to re-oxygenated water yet the rads are still going twenty years down the line.
Then perhaps you should tell me how many.

The perhaps you could answer my question.

The perhaps you could answer my question.

I don`t know how long a radiator will last with secondary water flowing through it.

Could you point out where I was being ridiculous?

You are also unaware of the system employing a ``hot rod``, that`s fair enough but just because you don`t know something doesn`t mean it must be ridiculous, it just means that you need a little more experience regarding heating systems, same as me regarding breakdowns. ;)

I don`t know how long a radiator will last with secondary water flowing through it.

Could you point out where I was being ridiculous?
You claimed that radiators fed with secondary water are installed on some conventional systems, thus implying that's acceptable.

You are also unaware of the system employing a ``hot rod``
You're wrong.

So, how many conventional systems do you say you've seen been running for years without a drop of additive ever being used, and that are "continually" bled, re-filled etc.?

You claimed that radiators fed with secondary water are installed on some conventional systems,

You are right.

thus implying that's acceptable.

You are wrong.

So, how many conventional systems do you say you've seen been running for years without a drop of additive ever being used, and that are "continually" bled, re-filled etc.?

Can`t count them all, look this is pointless and nothing to do with the problem originally posted so I`m going to leave it here. Have a pleasant evening.

...thus implying that's acceptable.
You are wrong.
'Fraid not. The way you wrote it clearly implied that you believe it to be former common practice, viz:

I know that in some conventional systems they used to pipe up the bathroom rad to the hot water cylinder rather than the heating system, so you always had a rad hot for drying off towels, even when heating was off.
If you had thought that doing so was a mistake, which, BTW, it is, and not commonplace, then you've had plenty of opportunity to say so.

Can`t count them all
Well then, just say how many that you have counted.

For example, is it two? Or one? Or zero, perhaps?

look this is pointless
But it isn't pointless, because it's exposing you as a charlatan.

The way you wrote it clearly implied that you believe it to be former common practice, viz:

I do believe it to be common practice in the particular area in which I worked because it was.

If you had thought that doing so was a mistake, which, BTW, it is, and not commonplace, then you've had plenty of opportunity to say so.

I don`t think that doing so was a mistake, it was installed that way intentionally. I merely pointed out the fact that this is the way that these particular systems were installed. (They were installed many years ago, probably before your time). ;)

Well then, just say how many that you have counted.

Quite a few council house estates actually.

But it isn't pointless, because it's exposing you as a charlatan.

I don`t see how offering an explanation on how an additive may have been introduced into the hot water system based on my own experience can make me a charlatan, I offered advice, I never asked for money, now that would make me a charlatan. I don`t know who you think you are but I was under the impression that this site was here to try and help people out by offering free advice.
Most people on here seem to be doing that.
Get with the programme or don`t make a comment. Trying to whip up an argument helps no-one and is, I have stated, pointless.
Now, can we please let it lie?
Have a pleasant evening.

I do believe it to be common practice in the particular area in which I worked because it was.
Despite that, it very much wasn't, and isn't, common practice.

I don`t think that doing so was a mistake
Neverthessless, it was.

Quite a few council house estates actually.
As a proportion of the total, that's not very many.

I don`t see how offering an explanation on how an additive may have been introduced into the hot water system based on my own experience can make me a charlatan.
It's simple - your advice was misleading.

Get with the programme or don`t make a comment.
I note that you were the latecomer to this topic, and that you are the one who isn't "with the programme".

Now, can we please let it lie?
I've stated that you're wrong, which you clearly are, and you've refuted it, so if you truly want to let it lie then please feel free.

it very much wasn't, and isn't, common practice.

I never said this was common practice, I merely stated that this was a way that an additive could have been introduced into the hot water system via a radiator purely from the way that I, personally have seen some heating systems installed on more than one occasion. I don`t understand how that statement has caused you so much upset?
You haven`t seen a heating system piped up in this way? Sorry!! You`ll get over it!

Neverthessless, it was.

A mistake? Things change know all, it probably seemed a good idea at the time.

As a proportion of the total, that's not very many.

It`s obviously a lot more than you have seen, fellah ;)

It's simple - your advice was misleading.

How was my advice misleading, you explain to me given the scenario I have put forward, regarding the additive entering the hot water system via the central heating system, where my advice was misleading?

I note that you were the latecomer to this topic, and that you are the one who isn't "with the programme".

I think you were later than me. What does that mean? :rolleyes:

I've stated that you're wrong, which you clearly are, and you've refuted it,

Wrong about what exactly? If I`m wrong, tell me what it is and I`ll thank you for the information, so let`s all hear what it is I`m wrong about?

I think you are the Charlatan.

It does not matter which rad it was added to - it's all one circuit of water whether it is used to heat rads or to heat water in a cylinder.
To be fair, to jamesdean, you're missing the point of his post. He believes that it used to be commonplace to connect a rad on a secondary circuit. However, if that was the scenario, then the X400 wouldn't be in the other radiators.

The OP has said that there's pollution between primary and secondary water, therefore the crossover is in the cylinder.

MANY MOONS AGO THE COAL BOARD USED TO FIT HEATING ALBEIT VERY BASIC AND OVER THE YEARS I HAVE SEEN ALL VARIATONS OF SYSTEMS BUT MOSTLY THE BATHROOM RAD WAS FED OF THE GRAVITY CIRCS AND CAME ON WITH THE HOT WATER SYSTEM ,BUT WHEN THE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED THE RAD WAS NOT ADDRESSED.I.E REMOVING PRIMATIC AND REPLACING WITH A DIRECT, WE CAME ACROSS IT ONLY LAST WEEK WHILST DOING A COMBI CONVERSION AND THAT HAD BEEN LIKE FOR BEST PART OF 20 YEARS STILL WITH ORIGINAL RADS!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back