Central Heating not working but the hot water is ok!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my central heating system is not warming up for some reason and the hot water is working fine! However the radiator closest to the hot water tank is slightly warm...i mean really slightly warm whereas the others are stone cold!

I have asked one of my colleagues however he has no clue :(

Could it be that the central heating pump is gone?!

Thank You

Sponsored Links
What sort of system is it?
Gravity hot water? Fully pumped? 1x3 port valve? 2x2 port valves?

Probably motorised valve failure(if you have one) and maybe some gravity/reverse circulation.

It's got a hot water tank and a wilo gold 50 pump which I think is the culprit. It's a old boiler - the brand is hero.

The pump has started to make noise and gets really hot. How do I know if this old boiler has a motorized valve?

From what I've seen online it seems that the pump is the problem however some also suggest of the motorized valve. Just want to clarify.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is a Halstead Hero, then will be a fully pumped system. Motorised valve is not opening to heating when called for.

When the room stat calls for heat the valve moves over with the aid of a motor inside the actuator(the metal/plastic box on the valve) when in position it activates a micro switch which fires up the pump and boiler. Depending on model you can just replace the motor which is what by the sounds of it is wrong with yours.

When the room stat calls for heat the valve moves over with the aid of a motor inside the actuator(the metal/plastic box on the valve) when in position it activates a micro switch which fires up the pump and boiler. Depending on model you can just replace the motor which is what by the sounds of it is wrong with yours.

i see, but then why is the radiator which is the closest to the hot water tank slightly warm and the others are not? i would have thought the water was not circulating and hence none of the others are warm?

That could be due to conventional currents due to how the system is plumbed in.

That could be due to conventional currents due to how the system is plumbed in.

Hi I just checked and when the thermostat is switched on, the boiler fires up! Does this mean the motorized valve is not the culprit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back