Central Heating NOT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week the CH system stoped working :(

I've de-gunked the system [ it needed doing], flushed it and refilled.

all radiators have been blead.

the pump is <12 months old - and makes the right sort of noises - it's bleed vavle has been shown to be free of air.

when the CH is on the pipes round the pump get hot but nothing seems to reach the radiators.

any clues on how to fix this?

do I have a air lock somewhere ? if so how do I go about removing it
or do I have some other problem ?

All suggestions gladly received

Sponsored Links
Boiler is a Baxi Solo 2 40 RS
CH System is not Sealed - head tank style.

TIA

1 check the pump is running and bled
unde the large screw let the air out put a small screwdriver in the hole and see if the shaft is turning
if you have a three port valve lock the lever on man and there should be a bleed point somewhere near it :)

Sponsored Links
Pump was operating,
and oozing water - no air in that part of the system.

I have switched all radiators off [apart from the nearest one] to see if that helped - nothing seemed to change :(

Have you check the lock sheild if fitted on the first rad is open and the termostat is set correctly.

don't know what you mean about a 2 or 3 port valve :?:

there is a T junction with a sevo'ed switch on it - if I move this then it moves back automagically

Thermostats are set correctly

Do the pipes get hot past the pump, if not try turning up your pump.
Do they get hot up to your mid position valve? , if so set the valve to its mid position. Could be your thermostat is not calling for heat and is knackered or wiring needs checking.

ok,
pipes get hot boths sides of pump so it is moving though the pump - if I switch the 3 port valve then heat gets transfer round the other pipe - then it switches back. I'll check the locking of the 3 port valve and find a bleed bit later [not there now].

I will double check to see if the main therostat has not been swiched off.

OK when I lock the valve open the upstairs radiators get hot, one downstairs gets warm and the other one downstairs - nothing.

so we have a bit of progress.

What next ?

[Have moed it back into it's default setting for the time being]

Now, all rads are hot - but only when the 3 port valve is locked in the open position. In the normal position - heat does not get pumped round the system :confused:

Thanks for the help so far :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back