central heating pipe layout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my central heating layout does not seem to have a 'flow' pipe and a 'return' pipe. each radiator is connected both ends to the same single pipe which runs around the house. the system works ok. is this layout normal for an old house?

Sponsored Links
Not so normal nowadays.

You have a single pipe system.

Should add, we still install single pipe systems in some industrial instalations

Its old style but biggest faults are the rads dont all heat up at same time. When designed they fitted bigger rads as the system went on as they would be running at lower temp water. Will also have a large volume of water in system of big old rads.Slow to heat up also eqates to slow to cool down though.

Sponsored Links
bab said:
Its old style but biggest faults are the rads dont all heat up at same time. When designed they fitted bigger rads as the system went on as they would be running at lower temp water. Will also have a large volume of water in system of big old rads.Slow to heat up also eqates to slow to cool down though.

Rubbish ;)

doitall said:
bab said:

Rubbish ;)

Haven't you heard of those radiators that take a long time to cool down?

htgeng said:
doitall said:
bab said:

Rubbish ;)

Haven't you heard of those radiators that take a long time to cool down?

What cast iron ones :LOL:

Whatever they're not exclusive to one pipe systems. Maybe in the good old days of gravity heating systems.

Anyone fitted the Ladder type of system :LOL:

I fitted a combi to a one pipe system at my G friends, i gave a very good flush out and it works a treat. i even added a new rad to system using the old style swept tees and that works a treat. They all get equally as hot as one another. i admit a one pipe system is not efficient but if installed correctly they work fine.

micky p said:
I admit a one pipe system is not efficient but if installed correctly they work fine.

More rubbish, there's no difference in the efficientcy.

The only drawback with a onepipe system is the design and installation has to be better thought out and installed. Whereas a twopipe system can be virually chucked in by anyone and it should work. :LOL:

micky p said:
They all get equally as hot as one another.
Impossible on a one pipe system. Each radiator in the circuit will receive slightly cooler water than the one before since the cooled water from the preceding rad will have rejoined the circulating water. You may not notice any temperature difference by touch (bleeding hot is bleeding hot, whether it's 60° or 70°) but a digital thermometer will reveal the change.

yep I agree for a change Chris ;)

Depends on the system design and size, but its unlikely you could tell the difference by touch. And in any case the radiators would catch up with each other, in a matter of minutes.

well i know they will be a difference in degrees but to touch they all get hot enough to heat the room.... and you are quite correct as the water rejoins the circulating water. A 1 pipe system will work fine that is what i am saying. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back