Central Heating powerflush ... a DIY job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've recently fitted 2 new radiators and the central heating pump has just about packed in. So it's gonna get replaced.

I think now is a good time to get the central heating system flushed etc. Prices for doing it look mental and I was wondering if there's a DIY solution to it?

Failing that can someone reccomend someone in the Warrington area to do it?

Thanks In Advance ... Mick

Sponsored Links
There are several options you have. Search on here for powerflushing and I'm sure it will bring up posts to give you ideas.

You could always hire a power flush machine out for the day. ;)

I would not recommend doing a diy powerflush as it can be risky working with acid, and likely you don't get the full result as you don't know how to do it.

Acid!!! kinell I didn't realise they use that!! :eek:

OK, I'm not bad at DIY but I think this is a job for a pro :)

Anyone in the Warrington area interested?

Thanks for the replies

Mick

Sponsored Links
Acid!!! kinell I didn't realise they use that!!

They don`t, you were told that for dramatic effect. You can achieve the same result by locking down your rad valves on both sides, emptying the rad if you are lucky to have a drainoff, if not turn off valves & drain into bucket, remove radiator. Make up small length of copper with nut & olive, attach to one valve on now removed radiator. tighten up, attach hosepipe to other end then open valve, turn cold water on, you are now flushing your system. This method will only work for combi systems, if you have tanks in loft, you need to chop and cap off the cold water supply to your heating system. ( small tank) & cap your vent pipe, pipe that looks like a hook going into small tank. You can buy push on fittings for these, no need for soldering etc, ask your local merchant for speedfit or Hep fittings.
Let me know if you have a combi or not & I will guide you step by step in more detail. I believe British Gasp are charging/ robbing people to do this service to the tune of £600+ vat now

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Nice one mate :D

This method is similar to what I was thinking about!

I don't have a combi boiler, just the standard type. I look foward to a more detailed 'how to' from you mate

Mick

I don't have a combi boiler, just the standard type. I look foward to a more detailed 'how to' from you mate

No problem. give me a shout when you are ready. ;)

Thanks again

As I'm gonna replace the central heating pump should I make up the hose pipe connection(s) to attach where to pump normaly fits?

Am I right in saying that water will go in via the radiator (or possibley the pump connections) then another hose pipe tp a drain to take away the dirty water?

I'm ready for the 'how to' when you are mate

Many thanks

Mick

the pump is knackered mate. Stopped working a few days back ... none of the downstairs rads are warming up

Ok, you can now take advantage of the fact that you now have a break in the pipework, what have you got 2 22mm peces of pipe or have you left the valves on? you have obviously drained the system? help me out here where are we?

I've not actually removed the pump yet mate.

I'll do what ever you say is best.

Actually, just been checking the downstairs rad's and it will be easier for attaching the hose pipe if I use the kitchen rad. Better for draining off as well me thinks as it's close to the back door?

Mick

You want to do this right now don`t you :rolleyes: hang on I need a beer.

Mate there's no rush. I really appreciate your advise and will wait until you're ready

Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back