central heating problem can you help me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i have a problem with my central heating ,could anyone offer me any advice.when my central heating programmer is set to water only the central herting comes on as well.radiators boiling hot.is it the programmer at fault or could it be anything else.thank you :D

Sponsored Links
seco services";p="2168718 said:
More likely a motorised valve issue.
thanks for the reply Tony.i found a metal box in airing cuboard with a sliding part to it would this be the valve.would system have to be changed to fix it.thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't say if anything has been altered or was the system working ok up until the fault occured.
If you do have the ubiquitous V4073 valve as shown by previous poster it sounds very much as if the fault is in the valve.
When you call for dhw only the valve should be de-energised should close port A being pulled by the internal spring.
It may be that the valve itself ( not the actuator) is sticking.
You can move it manually to close port B with the small lever on the side. It should then return. At the moment it is somewhere in the middle as both the hw cylinder and the radiators are heating up.

I have just read your other post where you say you have moved the lever and now getting no Hot Water. This because you have locked the 3port valve into the heating only position. The lever can be locked by moving it into the latched position if you unlatch it ,it will return.
The function of the 3port valve is
1. Hot Water only..... port A closed
2. Heating only .........port B closed
3. Heating and Hot Water...Mid position

I have just read your other post where you say you have moved the lever and now getting no Hot Water. This because you have locked the 3port valve into the heating only position. The lever can be locked by moving it into the latched position if you unlatch it ,it will return.
The function of the 3port valve is
1. Hot Water only..... port A closed
2. Heating only .........port B closed
3. Heating and Hot Water...Mid position

Hi Ianblue! My understanding regarding the lever is that it can only move slightly beyond mid position and can only be latched in mid position and not the 'heating only' position.

Hi Ianblue! My understanding regarding the lever is that it can only move slightly beyond mid position and can only be latched in mid position and not the 'heating only' position.

Unless you have power on the grey then it will travel the full distance to
port A open only.

Hi Ianblue! My understanding regarding the lever is that it can only move slightly beyond mid position and can only be latched in mid position and not the 'heating only' position.[/quote]

Yes I do agree it is not possible to have only Heating completely when operated MANUALLY .

Hi Seco I agree with your last statement but I think we are talking at crossed purposes.
If neither grey nor white are energised the spring will return the valve to open port B ( Hot Water only) then operating the valve manually will take it just beyond the mid position.

Yes i do agree with you if no power at all on the valve then it will only reach mid position. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back