Central heating pump disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone. I would be most grateful if anyone could help me with some problems.

About 12 years ago, I installed a closed loop oil fired central heating system and everything has worked OK over this period.

Unfortunately, about a week ago, the circulating pump shattered internally and blocked the flow of water through the system. The pressure relief valve opened and emptied the system.

I obtained a new Grundfos replacement pump and fitted it into the system. When I refilled the system, I found that the pressure relief valve was faulty - water was pouring out of the outlet.
Water was also seeping out of some of the 3/4 inch soldered joints on the copper pipe.

I replaced the effected copper soldered connections with compression fittings. I also replaced the
pressure relief valve. The original pressure relief valve had a male head which fitted into a female
socket on a T piece. The new valve has a female fitting. To fit the new valve I had to use a female to female adaptor.

My problem now is that I have leaks in the system which I am sure is due to incorrect sealing.

It is 12 years since I installed the system and I have forgotten a lot and I need some help.

How do I seal the female to female adaptor? - I have put Boss White on the threads but this seems to be ineffective.

I also have a leak where the pipework connects to the burner.

Any information would be most welcome

Many thanks

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Hi Jimmy. The threaded connection is done with PTFE tape, fed onto the male thread in a clockwise direction.

We would need more details of any other problems.

Do you have a red expansion vessel??

If it's a thread you need to seal, PTFE tape is what you need.

Wind on clockwise when viewing from end of thread, like this -

@PullerGas
Many thanks. Yes. I have a red expansion tank.

I have read somewhere that using twine is more efficient on some of the connectors? What is your opinion?

Sponsored Links
@ Whitespirit66

Many thanks for your help. How many loops of PTFE tape should I use ?

@PullerGas
Many thanks. Yes. I have a red expansion tank.

I have read somewhere that using twine is more efficient on some of the connectors? What is your opinion?
That's hemp - it's been banned for years because it can grow bacteria:rolleyes:

Expansion vessel connections are often needing that amount of PTFE.

If the oil pipe is weeping you'll need an oil approved sealant such as Rocol. If it is 10mm soft copper tube it should have been fitted with an insert where a compression olive is used, as the pipe is not strong enough to be considered fit for purpose without.

Expansion vessel connections are often needing that amount of PTFE.
That being the case then clearly either the wrong thread standard is being used (such as parallel to taper or vice versa) or the manufacturer is not complying with standard dimensions (quality control - or lack of)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back