Central Heating Question - Why wont it work?

Ok now I think I'm going slightly mad.
Took off the control panel, connected the live upto terminal 4 as you suggested and CH came on for abuot 1 min, then shut itself off.

So I followed the live feed all the way through to the motorised valve, to try and work out where the break was happeneing. And guess what? There is a live feed at the brown wire in the motorised valve. Even though the valve just switched itself off.

So now I'm guessing it's a dodgy syncro motor, or something wrong with the valve itself.
Could it be anything else?
This is really confusing me.

Sponsored Links
Cracked it! Well hope I have anyway.
It was that motor.
I took it off of the valve and turned on the central heating. The cog spun for about a minute, the motor got very hot, then it stopped spinning.

Problem solved.

Very strange for a new motor to do this though, do you oocasionally get a dud? Or might something else have caused the problem?

I'll fit a new one and see if it works.
Thanks once more for all the helpful advice. I've really learned alot about my central heating system!

Jolly good show, it's unusual for sync motor to fail if you use decent quality ones. I came upon one recently where the top cover just came off or pushed down (stalling the motor) depending in where I put my hammer!

Glad to see you'll have fixed it by tea-time, no sugar for me, but those chocolate hobnobs look nice...

Put on a new motor and it's working a treat.

Help yourself to as many hob nobs as you like!

I have noticed that since the heating has started working again, the pump is making a strange shwooshing fizzing noise. Like bubbles of air are going through it.

I've bled all the rads and can't find any air in the sealed system.
I wont let it keep me from those nob nobs but Is it anything to worry about?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back