Central Heating: Radiator Expansion Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am away to purchase a house and we have had a survey carried out on the property. We are aware that the heating system is quite old but last time it was service we have just it turns out that the plumber converted on of the radiators into an expansion tank.

Can anybody tell me why somebody would have done this and should this actually be replace by a proper expansion tank?

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure what you are saying here. A radiator cannot be used for an expansion vessel. The system should have either a Feed and Expansion tank or an Expansion vessel.

If neither is fitted (and I cant believe this would be the case) the system is extremely dangerous and should NOT be used.... :eek:

If its a sealed pressurized system and the pressure vessel has gone it could be a temporary measure to keep the heating working.

It should not be used as a permanent fix, but of course without seeing what work has actually been carried its difficult to be accurate, for instance a pressure vessel could have been teed in to the pipework which is perfectly acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back