Central heating - Soldered joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all.

Since my central heating pump, in a closed system, shattered internally and blocked the flow of water, I have had endless problems with leaks. I have fixed most but I have one piece of right angled 3/4 inch copper pipe which is still leaking . The right angled bend uses a capillary fitting. The soldered connections are leaking.

Is there any way of repairing the soldered joints without dismantling the fittings?

I have spare capillary joints. Should I simply dismantle the existing joints and fit new capillaries.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
if you can be sure you have no water in the pipework and fitting, you can re-solder it, just give the outside of the joint a good helping of flux and solder as per usual.
if there is any water in the pipe / fitting it wont get hot enough and the solder wont melt / run

maybe just cut it out and replace with compression?

The pump shattering won't cause leaks.

Are you sure this system has a pressure relief valve correctly rated and fitted?

Toptip: when reworking a leaking soldered joint... Dip the end of the the solder into your flux and get a good dollop on the end before applying to the heated fitting... Then let capillary action do the rest (y)

Sponsored Links
Simon is right, a shattered pump or any other fragments won't cause end feed failure. But neither would a poor or non existent PRV, assuming the joints were good in the first place.The lack of a PRV would,if anything, blow rad. valve seals or boiler seals first. IMO

The joints were likely to have been badly formed in the first place.

RE: re-blowing fittings. Don't waste your time. Dismantle and re-do. If the joint was not done properly, you will be lucky to be succesful on subsequent attempts.

I saw the previous post on the shattered pump. But did not read it. I have never heard of such a thing. Did a foreign body enter the impellors?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back