Central heating switching off randomly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So the small pipe on the right is not carrying water from the boiler?
If you mean the white pipe, then yes it carries water from the boiler, but this is the condensate pipe. A trap is a small chamber full of water, that spills over once the boiler is condensing.

If you mean the white pipe, then yes it carries water from the boiler, but this is the condensate pipe. A trap is a small chamber full of water, that spills over once the boiler is condensing.
I have released the cover concealing the trap and I'm not surprised there is an issue. Water is leaking from somewhere and there is a green gunge on pipes and the cover.

Attachments

• 20210309_115116.jpg
    20210309_115116.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210309_115152.jpg
    20210309_115152.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 52
Hope you haven’t removed the case cover? That trap does appear clear, however the blockage could be in that pipe, or indeed at the end as I’ve had before.

Sponsored Links
Hope you haven’t removed the case cover? That trap does appear clear, however the blockage could be in that pipe, or indeed at the end as I’ve had before.
Thanks. I haven't removed the case cover just a small cover underneath the trap. Is the green stuff linked to the problem or a separate issue?

Hard to tell,but looks separate.

Put a bucket below that coupling, undo the plastic nut, it is only hand tight, catch the water that comes out, (might be a fair bit) post a pic of the condensate you catch, when the water stops get a kettle and por water down the outlet of the pipe and see if it runs away no problem, if it backs up then you have a blockage further down the drain line, with the anount of corrossion I would say that is a condensate leak, either way it needs sorted ASAP

Put a bucket below that coupling, undo the plastic nut, it is only hand tight, catch the water that comes out, (might be a fair bit) post a pic of the condensate you catch, when the water stops get a kettle and por water down the outlet of the pipe and see if it runs away no problem, if it backs up then you have a blockage further down the drain line, with the anount of corrossion I would say that is a condensate leak, either way it needs sorted ASAP
Thanks. I will try that as soon as possible.

Well, the condensate trap is empty and it is not possible to put water down the pipework because of the restriction of the boiler.

If you’re confident enough you can always separate the tee at the end of condensate pipe to see if blocked.

I will at the tee joint, but shouldn't there be liquid in the trap?
I think you’re getting confused about the word trap. You have a trap at your boiler and an appliance trap next to the tee. Upon disconnecting the tee, you will get a very small amount of water, if you’re getting quite a bit, then you have a blockage. You may also get quite a bit if you find and dislodge the blockage (if there is one).

I think you’re getting confused about the word trap. You have a trap at your boiler and an appliance trap next to the tee. Upon disconnecting the tee, you will get a very small amount of water, if you’re getting quite a bit, then you have a blockage. You may also get quite a bit if you find and dislodge the blockage (if there is one).
The boiler has been on for a couple of hours and approximately 3/4 mm of water was produced at the waste end of the condensate pipe in the attached container.

Attachments

• 20210309_220428.jpg
    20210309_220428.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 54

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back