Central heating system not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a 12 year old house that needed some work doing. When we moved in all of the radiators seemed to work fine (although it was in the summer) and since then we have slowly redecorated and hence have taken off nearly every radiator. We have also had two towel rails replaced in the bathrooms (they were radiators originally).

Since redecorating we have slowly had a degradation of the central heating system....I shall explain.

It started with the boiler tripping off regularly. Central heating eng came out and told me the boiler was on max power and this was probably causing it to trip off (it's a gloworm, fitted in 2006 and is an open, gravity fed system with hot water tank in cupboard upstairs, cold water tank and f and e tank in loft). Turning boiler down stopped it from tripping off.

Two radiators have never worked well. One in kitchen, near to boiler, and one in furthest bedroom from boiler. Radiator Furthest from boiler we have cleaned, replaced TRV, and lockshild valve and nothing worked. thought might need the system balancing and have tried course balancing so far (ir thermometer on order so I can do it properly).

When plumber replaced radiators in bathroom with towel rails he emptied the system and put a cleaner in which I have subsequently drained and washed out with a hose nearly all of the downstairs rads. Got loads of sludge out!

Now I still have the furthest rads from boiler not working well, the kitchen one still not working at all and a system balancing in process. There is still a lot of air coming out of the towel rails when bled (almost daily which concerns me and they are the highest rads so I assume all the air rises to them).

This was all manageable until recently when we noticed the boiler was turning itself off after almost exactly an hour. no matter when the timer was set on ( even if it is on continuous it turns off), the room thermostat isn't up to temp and the control panel has the lights on to indicate demand to the boiler. The only solution is a good old reset of the electrical spur next to the control which gives us another hour or so. (this is barely enough time to heat a 5 bed house where some of the rads don't work and we live on a hill on the north Wales coast!!! )

Please help!

Why is my boiler not staying on when the thermostat isnt up to temp and the controller is demanding heat? Could the controller be at fault?

What could be the cause of the constant air in the system?

Is it likely that the rad furthest from the boiler isn't on because the system isn't balanced and I should persevere with the balancing?

Why would the kitchen rad not be working? I have taken it off, cleaned it out and it filled with water fine after taking it off. It's near the boiler and the three other rads around it bare roasting hot!

Thank you so much in advance for your advice. It's freezing cold for my 3 year old whose room is furthest from the boiler and I'm on the verge of calling out an eng who I know will probably tell me I need a new boiler/pump/controller and it will cost a bomb!!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
probably a by-pass valve fully open somewhere, sludged up open vent system, open to the elements, full of corrosion and crap, does water run from the open vent at all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back