Central Heating thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to move my central heating room temperature control thermostat to a different place in the house as it is in the wrong place for adequate control.
My question is can I extend the cable to the thermostat without impairing the effectiveness of the thermostat.
The intention is to disconnect the current cable at the thermostat, move it to the correct place (or replace it with a new one), pull the cable back into the ceiling void and extend it to the new position.
I hope that makes sense.
....John

Sponsored Links
Why not look at using a wireless one, you can put it any where then.

Can you explain what you mean Dark Inferno - I'm so ignorant I'm not sure whether you think the wireless idea if a good one or not ???

Sponsored Links
If you are really that ignorant, have you realised that it is 240v mains to the thermostat ?

Yes, bathjobby, I really am that ignorant - is your response an attempt to help ?

if you can run the cable fairly easily I'd go wired myself, no batterys to worry about changing.

(says the man with a wireless system)

It stands a fair chance of being 240V though, just so you know.

i believe it was. you really can get a wireless themostat as mentioned

i believe it should go in the hall

Yes you can, make sure you use the same type of cable, and join in a suitable exclosure, a normal electrical junction box will be fine as long as it can be accessed for inspection (eg, loft, yes, under floor - nope), if its going to be in-accessable, you need to crimp it using suitable crimp connectors and a rachet action crimping tool, and enclose the join in a suitable box

Be careful when connecting stat back in, if it's a volt free boiler / stat you could blow the pcb if you connect it wrongly

breezer said:
i believe it should go in the hall

it can go in any room providing there is a radiator there and it doesnt have thermostatic valves

bimmerpjp
is your response an attempt to help ?
I'm telling you its 240v as you appear not to have understood that, why are you questioning my intentions ! Get on with it, your on your own with that attitude to those of us trying to help...

bimmerpjp said:
Can you explain what you mean Dark Inferno - I'm so ignorant I'm not sure whether you think the wireless idea if a good one or not ???

He means that all a room stat does is switch two wires on, and off, when the temperature passes it's set point.

This is as opposed to something like a thermistor, where it's resistance varies gradually with the temperature.

Since it's just an on/off thing, you're not going to change it's performance by extending the wires (provided you make the connections properly).

Wireless stats are ok. They're more expensive than wired stats, and usually you'll need a new programmer, adding to the expense. Then they need batteries which is an inconvenience.

The wired stat is "better", but if it's a major hassle to chase the cable into the wall and route it to where it needs to be, then the cons of the wireless stat may be less of a bad thing than the hassle of the wired.

bathjobby said:
bimmerpjp
is your response an attempt to help ?
I'm telling you its 240v as you appear not to have understood that, why are you questioning my intentions ! Get on with it, your on your own with that attitude to those of us trying to help...

I'm sorry to have upset you, I thought you were taking the mickey out of my lack of knowledge. I believe I appreciate the supply to the stat is 240v but miss the SIGNIFICANCE of this.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

slippyr4 said:
bimmerpjp said:

He means that all a room stat does is switch two wires on, and off, when the temperature passes it's set point.

This is as opposed to something like a thermistor, where it's resistance varies gradually with the temperature.

Since it's just an on/off thing, you're not going to change it's performance by extending the wires (provided you make the connections properly).

Wireless stats are ok. They're more expensive than wired stats, and usually you'll need a new programmer, adding to the expense. Then they need batteries which is an inconvenience.

The wired stat is "better", but if it's a major hassle to chase the cable into the wall and route it to where it needs to be, then the cons of the wireless stat may be less of a bad thing than the hassle of the wired.

Many thanks, thats great and gives me confidence to have a go myself (current waiting time for an electrician here is more than a month!!). The wirekess solution does sound a more interesting solution though. If I am understanding this, there are 2 components , the stat which can go anywhere and the receiver which must, presumably, have to be wired into the exiasting boiler wiring ? Can you indicate how difficult this might be ?

please note 10a which is here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back