Central Heating - thin pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought an old House with old central heating. I was surprised to see the radiator pipes were very thin - around 1/4 inch. Anyone know when these particular sizes were used in houses and should I replace them (and probably the old boiler also)? or just leave them since it works?

Sponsored Links
it sounds to me like the pipes have been replaced with microbore are they a bit thicker than 1/4" they should be 10mm

I haven't measured them as such but I would say nearer 8mm than 10mm. I had a look under the floor and they are very grey - bit like lead rather than copper. I think they are very old but not sure.

I believe "micro bore was the answer to everything , easy to install etc, troble is no one took into acount how quick it "furs up" I personally would get rid if it

Sponsored Links
Rad valves are available in 15mm and 10mm so it should be 10mm if the pipes look small, microbore takes ages to 'fur' up and is recommedned and used by British Gas in the UK so dont panic about your pipes blocking.

Reguralrly services and flushed systems will last for years and years.

Thanks - they are in fact 10mm and seem to be in reasonable condition. Although they have no insulation on them at all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back