Ceramic hob installation... silicone sealant...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just had a new kitchen fitted.

I noticed that the ceramic hob unit, installed into the counter top above the integral oven, didn't seem to have any seal around it. I asked the fitter what happens if a pan overflows and water goes under the hob unit? He said he would put sealant under it where it makes contact with the counter, and I had no reason in that moment to question this, since he is an experienced professional. Afterwards I asked if this is ok in terms of the heat that will be generated and he said it is better than the foam gasket you usually get with these appliances...

I haven't yet used the cooker at all, since the job was finished the other day, but earlier today found a roll of foam gasket in the lounge, obviously intended for the hob, with a manufacturer's note saying it must be used. I then checked the instruction manual and found this repeated and also an advisory not to use silicone sealant...

Whether this is for safety reasons I don't know, but for one thing, silicone means the hob unit cannot be removed for servicing and the warantee will no doubt now be void before I've even used it.

I've just removed the hob unit, having painstakingly managed to break the sealant with a library card all the way round. My plan was to get the sealant off the counter and underneath of the hob unit and then put the gasket on. Unfortunately, the sealant is proving to be a nightmare to get off the hob unit.

Any advice on how to proceed? Is sealant a safety hazard in that situation? Ideas on how to get it all off? I've contacted the fitter to raise my concerns but part of me doesn't want him back here. I'm thinking he ought to buy a new hob unit rather than try to work his "magic" on it. Am I being unreasonable?

Sponsored Links
Either silicon eater or just petrol if you have any will remove it without any problems. Think it is worth complaining to the supplier if they supplied the fitter as he does not seem particularly professional having not followed the manufacturers installation instructions and thereby possibly creating future problems for you.

You could argue by not using sealant, then the home owner can lift the hob easily and clean all around and under the lip ...............

From what I understand, using the gasket provided means the hob unit can move a bit as it expands and contracts, and means it can easily be lifted out for cleaning and maintenance. The problem with sealant is that it prevents lifting the unit out when required, and could mean it breaks if the sealant isn't fully cut, and it may not allow sufficient movement when expanding and contracting. It is also just messy and was totally unnecessary in this case since the correct product was available.

Will using petrol to remove the silicone cause any damage to the appliance?

Also, slightly difficult to explain but along the sides of the unit, underneath, are thin metal pieces that run almost from front to back and are somewhat bowed or diagonal. Part of these long thin pieces are lined with some thin white fabric stuff than looks like thin silk lace. Some of this has now been shredded up in the process of cutting the sealant to remove the unit. Is this fabric stuff important?

Finally, whilst the hob unit is off, I'm thinking I'll take the opportunity to seal the exposed chipboard stuff that the countertop is made of around the hole where the hob sits. Would PVA or acrylic primer work? (I have both). Or I have a water based varnish.

Sponsored Links
If you could post some pics of the white fabric it might be easier to advise. If the fitter did not seal the work top around the aperture it tends to reinforce the impression that he was not a professional. Petrol will remove the residue without damaging the substrate especially if the majority of it is removed. The more you tell us the more inclined I am to think you should make the supplier sort out the mess if it was their responsibility to provide the installer and they should replace the hob if it has been damaged.

as it expands and contracts
Yeah, but if you look at the coefficient of expansion for Pyrex glass, the hob will have grown by about 2 millimetres by the time you've heated the entire surface of it to a thousand degrees Celsius. If your hob is 1000 *C you have more to worry about with smoke inhalation from the kitchen being on fire, than whether or not a rib of silicone can cope with a millimetre of movement (it can)

I'm thinking I'll take the opportunity to seal the exposed chipboard stuff
If you have reason to believe it will be subject to excess moisture, such as steam from a dishwasher underneath then go for it. If it gives you a peace of mind, then go for it. In most cases it's unnecessary though

If you could post some pics of the white fabric it might be easier to advise. If the fitter did not seal the work top around the aperture it tends to reinforce the impression that he was not a professional. Petrol will remove the residue without damaging the substrate especially if the majority of it is removed. The more you tell us the more inclined I am to think you should make the supplier sort out the mess if it was their responsibility to provide the installer and they should replace the hob if it has been damaged.
Hi mate,

Thanks for the feedback. Here is a picture of that side metal piece I'm talking about. Here it is in place with the screws removed. One part of it is in contact with the underneath of the black glass, the rest is bowed away. On the top side it has this strip of thin fabric. I'm not sure what the purpose of it is but it has been shredded a bit in removing the silicone. Do you think this matters?

Attachments

• 16964195349771344656877326239984.jpg
    16964195349771344656877326239984.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 16964195796814550610685466085379.jpg
    16964195796814550610685466085379.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 16964195970382098153510490106465.jpg
    16964195970382098153510490106465.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 46
It would have been fine, you should've left it as it is.

No I don't think you have caused any problem that will prevent it being installed properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back