ceramic hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
the cable rating indicated in the instuction leaflet is 2.5mm, yet the total wattage of all four rings is 6.0Kw, does this mean 2.5mm heat resesitant cable from the double pole switch or could i use 2.5mm radial on a 32amp MCB direct from comsumer box, via double pole switch, provided the cable is free from insulation in the loft so as not to increase it thermal heat in any way. The run would not exceed 5 mtrs. :?:

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to go up to at least 4mm². 2.5mm² flat twin and earth is rated without any correction factors max 28A, your MCB is 32A. It could be argued your load is fixed at 25A so it can't overload but there is the opportunity for the load to be replaced in the future with a device exceeding the cable rating.
The short piece of flex from the outlet plate to the hob should be, as the manufacturer specifies, OK in 2.5 heat resistant flex. Please note that this work is notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs.

i'd say put in at least 6mm, possiblly 10mm for the fixed wiring. Your next hob may well need more power and as others have said putting 2.5mm on a 32A breaker in a domestic is just asking for someone to come along and overload the cable.

Sponsored Links
You certainly can't fit a 32A CPD to 2.5 cable.

Depending on the circuit characteristics, I'd install at least 6mm².

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back