Ceramic tile removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my partner and i are redecorating our bathroom, and are removing the tiles off the wall. Only one problem, the wall is plaserboard, and has not been plastered. Alot of the wall is coming off with the tiles. What should we do to make the wall good?

Sponsored Links
I got this off the ABCNews site from a Q&A they had. Hope it helps.

: To remove a single tile, or tile accessory (such as a towel rack), start by using a grout file, a small chisel, or the pointed end of a can opener to dig out the grout around the tile.

Then slip the blade of a putty knife under the edges and work around the tile, prying as you go to detach the tile. Scrape off any dried adhesive from the wall with the putty knife.

Allow the wall to dry thoroughly (if wet) and then apply tile adhesive to the wall and "butter" the back of the tile as well. Press the tile firmly in place and clean up any excess adhesive.

For vertical surfaces, use masking tape to hold the tile until the adhesive sets. Once the adhesive has dried completely, re-grout with a plastic putty knife (to prevent scratches) and clean away any excess with a cloth.

After the grout has dried for two weeks, brush on a coat of grout sealer.

If you need to remove tiles from the entire wall, start at the top and work your way down. First lay down a heavy tarp to protect your floor, cabinets and fixtures. Then, wearing gloves and eye protection, use a hammer and a putty knife to tap and pry out tiles. It may be necessary to first remove the grout as described above.

Once all the tiles are removed, scrape off the adhesive residue from the wall with a wide blade putty knife.

— R.H.

PRINT THIS PAGE | SEND THIS TO A FRIEND | VIEW MOST EMAILED

SEARCH ABCNEWS ABCNEWS Keyword

Search Now:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back