Ceramic Tiles under kitchen units or around

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a whole new kitchen. The floor is ready for its ceramic floor tiles. Should I put my kitchen units down straight on the screed and tile up to/around them or do the whole floor with tiles then install the kitchen units? If I tile around, the kicker boards will still be accessible and it will all be waterproof, but I wonder whether tiling the whole floor is preferable or not. Hope that made sense!

Sponsored Links
It's all down to exspense and oppertunity.
If you can afford it and got the chance to put the floor down before the kitchen units ,do it :)

Thank you. Could you tell me why it is the best thing to do?

notb665 said:
Could you tell me why it is the best thing to do?
Don't have to cut the plinth plus you could move it for inspection if need be. Also look neater and don't have to grout or cut the tiles to it.
Normally the bottom of the plinth have a rubber clip-on sealant which rest on tiles to prevent water entering.

Sponsored Links
If you tile the whole floor then you've covered yourself if you want to change the layout of the kitchen in the future and won't be changing the floor. So the tiles are effectively "wasted" under the units. However I would but the kitchen units on the screed and then tile, and tile to just under the units (effectively up to the legs) so that the plinth/kicker board rests on the tiles. Then you install the plinth/kicker boards. If they don't have a plastic/rubber strip to rest on use sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back