CH- airlock in pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Open coal fire with large Baxi back boiler. 5 radiators which are all upstairs. None downstairs. Swept chimney Saturday, and everything fine until Sunday. Water got too hot and I now believe I have caused an airlock in the pipes. Water still gets too hot then there is cracking noises, and radiators get hot, before cooling down again.
Spent last two days trying to balance the rads and thought I had succeeded yesterday. Problem back again this morning.
I have tried opening fully all the lockshield valves then once heat is at the rads, I have started at No1 rad (nearest to pump) turning it right down then opening slightly; moving to nos. 2, 3, 4 and 5. and doing the same, opening each subsequent rad slightly more. No. 5 lockshield fully open.
Even tried closing down all lockshields, hoping to get water and air just flowing through the pipes,allowing air to escape (Honeywell Auto Air Vent fitted). After that I started at No 5 radiator, then worked backwards. Again that seemed to work until this morning. Hot water to taps is OK.
Any suggestions as to what I can do, or am I doing something wrong ?

Sponsored Links
I have finally restored the central heating to normal. One important fact I learned yesterday is that before attempting to remove an airlock in the pipes, allow the water to cool right down. I had been attemtping to remove the air and balance the radiators whilst the water was still HOT.
After allowing the water to cool right down, I then tackled each radiator in turn starting at No.5, then working backwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back