CH controls not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue with my British Gas boiler controls. The parts involved are a UP1 programmer, a WR1 wireless receiver (both of these in the hot press), and a T4 RF thermostat (on the stairs a couple of feet away). The boiler itself is off in another room and is a combi boiler.

The issue is that irrespective of what I do at the UP1, the boiler will not turn on or off. It will only turn on or off by using the power control knob directly on the boiler itself.

The hot water control works on the UP1 as long as the boiler's control knob is on. The WR1 and T4 RF are synced and the green "heating on" light on the WR1 green light is on, and turns off if I turn the thermostat setting down lower than the current temperature. The red light flashes when I turn the dial on the T4 RF. Essentially the boiler behaves as though the UP1's heating setting were set to "on" irrespective of what is actually there.

I have been travelling with work lately and so we called out an electrician who came while my wife was in. He "did some fiddling with the controllers" in her words; unfortunately she cannot be more specific. At that stage it went back to working normally until we had a power cut and is back to manual only.

Anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Afraid your post doesnt make sense, you say you have a UP1 programmer with HW control and you have a combi boiler ? you wouldnt have HW control if you have a combi boiler, the combi boiler senses you opening a hot tap and fires, what is the make and model of your boiler ?

I think the UP1 is a single channel clock for the heating and then you have a wireless stat.

Try lowering the stat all the way down until it flashes and stops, then turn it all the way up. This can sometimes re initiate the signal between the stat and receiver which was probably lost when you had the power cut

Failing that, look up the set up instructions for the stat and receiver

Boiler is British Gas RD1 (no idea whether that's a combi boiler). Thermostat and panel appear to be communicating fine as the WR1 light flashes when I turn the thermostat dial. The problem is simply that the boiler ignores the setting on the UP1 and is always on.

Sponsored Links
Should have read the post properly, I scanned and saw power cut which would normally cause problems with the stat, but not the clock.

I take he times and day of the week are set correct ect.

I would call the sparks back, I can't see how a power cut would cause this fault

You need a competent heating engineer, not a sparks.

It would take someone with a multimeter less than 5 mins to work out what is causing the problem.

How much did you pay the electrician?

He was £40. Funnily enough I rang a plumber/heating engineer first of all and when he heard the problem said get an electrician :/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back