CH expansion vessel. How does it work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No problem, just curious.

If I have a sealed central heating system with the expansion vessel charged at 1.5 bar, what actually happens? When the system is on and heating and reaches 1.5 bar, does the expansion vessel allow more room for the water expansion and hence keep the system pressure constant?

I guess what I am asking is what is the relevance of the vessel charge?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No problem, just curious.

If I have a sealed central heating system with the expansion vessel charged at 1.5 bar, what actually happens? When the system is on and heating and reaches 1.5 bar, does the expansion vessel allow more room for the water expansion and hence keep the system pressure constant?

Thanks
You're about right...

When water is heated up it expands, so in a sealed system the volume of water is X (whatever it can hold cold at a certain pressure). When that water is heated up and it expands, its volume becomes Y so the expansion vessel is there to take the extra capacity.

Calculations can be done to work out volumes etc.

So let's say cold pressure is X and ev is charged at Y. When ch comes on, at the point pressure reaches Y the expansion vessel starts to take the excess volume?

Sponsored Links

To balance the pressure in the CH system. If not charged the internal rubber diaphragm would be pushed over until the air pressure in it reached what the CH heating system is charged at. That might leave no room for the expansion of the hot water.

The EV starts to take up some expansion as soon as the water is heated

It might help if you read the FAQ

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/faqs.37170/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back