CH issues in new home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All, hope somebody can help me?
I have a gas ch system run with a Drayton lifestyle unit and thermostat.
My issue is that the programmer has been set to heat at 630am to 830am and again at 7pm to 10pm for both hot water and heating.
The hot water element is working fine and we have hot water but the heating does not come on??
The heating only comes on once the wall thermostat is clicked to above 18ish. The timer and thermostat do not appear to be working in conjunction with each other.

Any ideas?.

Hope the above makes sense and if anyone can assist as to what it could be before I call somebody out.
Any questions I will try to answer!!!

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
What temperature is it in your room when you want heating - 18degC ish?

I have the thermostat turned to 18, but I have to turn up to click and the boiler fires up and heats.
Sorry, pretty clueless about this!!

Sounds like the thermostat is working correctly, 18 is fairly chilly, opinions vary but 21 (for a lounge) is usually considered as standard but frankly I find if sitting for a long time it still feels a bit parky :D

Mine is currently set at 23.

If you were to open the doors and windows for a while the stat would cut in at 18. Also worth remembering that many stats have a lag between the temp they come on and go off at to stop the boiler constantly cycling on and off, also the stat will only monitor the temp in its location. therefore if it is on a cold wall or in a draught it will bring on the heat and if it is in a nice snug corner it will be quite happy for you to freeze ;)
Frankly you are best forgetting the numbers and experimenting to find at what setting you are comfortable

Sponsored Links
Footprints has posted while I was writing this, but I'll post anyway...

OK, we'll start from the beginning, as you have admitted you are clueless, and I hope I don't sound like I am patronising you.

This a brief guide to how your system should operate under normal circumstances.

There will be an electrical connection somewhere that supplies power to your boiler and heating controls. This electricity goes to the timer, and when you set the timer to on, it sends electricity to the thermostat.

You set the temperature of the thermostat to the temperature you want in the room. If the room temperature is below what the thermostat is set to, the thermostat sends electricity to the boiler and pump and valve(s) which in turn brings hot water to your radiators.

The room gradually heats up, and the thermostat senses this and cuts off the electricity to the boiler, pump and valves. This stops the hot water flowing to your radiators and the room cools down. Eventually the thermostat senses the coldness and switches back on etc. Rinse and repeat.

When the timer turns off, it no longer sends electricity to the thermostat, so the thermostat cannot send any electricity to the pump, boiler and valves, and the heating doesn't turn on.

So what you are doing by turning the thermostat up is asking for the room to be hotter. But beware! sometimes the dial can read a few degrees out.

Try setting it to 20degC and turning the heating on and see if your room gets 2 degrees warmer ;)

Mogget.

Interesting that you like it warm too, I thought it was just me! I like it at 22 in the day and 24 in the evening, and have a fully insulated living room ceiling so it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg in gas!

Interesting that you like it warm too, I thought it was just me! I like it at 22 in the day and 24 in the evening, and have a fully insulated living room ceiling so it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg in gas!

I'm getting a new condensing boiler fitted in the next couple of weeks in place of my cast iron dinosaur, hoping it helps the bills a bit!

Guys, really appreciate your help on this. It all makes a little more sense now, however, i think I might change my temp on the thermostat (gf says warmer the better, although an extra jumper should do the job)

Next question - how do I change the temp on thermostat?

Just had a look at the thermostat....adjusted up and it clicked on 20?

I'm lost haha

It's a Drayton lifestyle lp241 and the thermostat States Drayton!

If it's a RTS series or a Digistat 1, yes these can appear to behave slightly oddly but are good stats.

Wait until you encounter an RTS5, that'll confuse you! ;)

Oh yes, and the RTS8 dish full of tripe the 'Combi-Stat'

Mogget - I've had enough of this one let alone an upgrade!!

Now, I set the thermostat to 22(ish) and expected it to switch off along with the timer at 10pm. But....I have just got home and the heating is still on?????
I have now turned the thermostat right down so turned the heating completely off as I guess this would be constantly on.

Sorry for all the questions :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back