CH noise then stopped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Can anyone advise ? My CH started making a moaning noise then a terrific banging. (Sorry I can't help your minds!) This got worse over a few days. I had some work done but that was 2-3 months ago, just fitting a rad as far as CH was concerned. Now the boiler won't run. Just above the boiler on the cold pipe ("return" I assume) is a bleed valse. If you open it, no water comes out. F&E tank is full. Not combi. I've bled all rads and there was no air in them. not sure why I'm not getting water at this point in system. Anu ideas? Thanks very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Lack of flow or lack of water. Probably loads of gunk as well. See faq

Thanks chaps. i've been plating around a bit. You know the bleed valve on the return near the boiler, if you loosen it no water comes out? Well I thought I'd put some water in, so I attached a garden hose, opened the bleed valve and turned the hose on - got very wet! You know, I think that bleed valve may itself be blocked, as far as letting water out (or in) is concerned. So I don't really know if there is water in that pipe or not. The pump has been iffy for a while, getting very hot (before the water does) and producing a lot of vibration. If it has packed up, would it prevent circulation even by convection ? I wonder if it's worth taking a punt on a new pump (£30 quid approx) before calling in the cavalry? Cheers - Terry.

Sponsored Links
Chemically clean heating system, if air in system suspected fill f&e tank slowly to avoid air locks.

new pump - all foxed!. Thanks all for advice, cheers.

I've got the same problem and I tried the same things - hose on boiler bleed valve etc.

I've been slowly replacing all the rads in my house now for a year so the CH has been emptied/refilled quite a few times. This time however I'm getting very loud bangs from the boiler and the pump is making very nasty noises as well.
As I've emptied the CH a few times I suspect by problem is more down to air than sludge.
Two questions:
1) What's the best way of refilling a CH system (indirect) after emptying
2) Does it sound like my pump is knackered?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back