CH not working - motorised valve problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I have

1. Potterton Flamingo Gas Boiler with Honeywell motorised valve

2. What is happening - Central Heating is not working when switched on at timer. Pulling the sprung lever on the motorised valve over to manual clicks the microswitches and the pump starts and the boiler fires but you have to really hold the lever at the end of the travel in order for it to do this. Putting the lever into the locked manual position stops the pump/boiler. Putting the switch into auto seems to do nothing and I've not seen the motor move the lever (and to be honest, not sure how this really works and when the motor is supposed to move the lever?!)

3. Has anything been done recently - I closed then opened a couple of the red stop valves a couple of weeks ago leading to the HW cylinder as I noticed a disctinct lack of pressure from my hot water. This resolved the HW problem.

4. Problem started yesterday

I have general DIY skills. A plumber I spoke to recently suggested changing the motor which sounds straightforward. Is this worth a go? Will I have trouble finding a matched part? (although I am not convinced this will work though based on the problem I am seeing with the CH not running when the lever is in the locked manual position)

Sponsored Links
when manually locked open the shaft does not far enough round to operate the microswithes and so fire the boiler sounds like a duff motor can you remove the head and see if it rotates the motor when switched on

what is the "head"? Is this the silver box the valve sits in? I have done this but can't really see what's going on in there.

when you say "see if the motor rotates when switched on" - when what is switched on? The CH via the control panel? If so, then when i turn on the CH, nothing moves at all.

I think the motor had "synchron" written on it. Is it easy to get a new motor from a plumber supply shop and fit this myself?

Assuming a duff motor - what would, on average. a central heating engineer charge to come round supply and fit the new motor?

when you say "see if the motor rotates when switched on" - when what is switched on? The CH via the control panel? If so, then when i turn on the CH, nothing moves at all

if the motor is getting power when the ch is / should be on then it is probably the motor

p1055284_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ah well, a plumber might charge 40 - 100 labour plus either a motor for a score, or more, or for a head, maybe 50-70, where he may have just changed the motor in the last secondhand head he took off....
You can get motors for about £10 in wickes, plumbers etc.

Changed the motor (cost was £13) and it's all working now :D

Many thanks all !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back