CH not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having problems with my Central Heating which started last week when the pump stopped working. (Started making horrendous noise then blew the fuse).

A plumber came round the next day to replace the pump but after that only upstairs radiators were working. Hot water is fine.

More worryingly thing though, is that every 10 mins or so the expansion cistern in the loft is filling with hot water. Is this a common problem?

Through my own investigation/troubleshooting I tried bleeding all radiators, changing the pump speed, shutting down all upstairs radiator, etc. But no luck.

And now, neither upstairs or downstairs radiators are working but hot water still fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi There

I would suspect that your cold feed is blocked. Its the pipe that feeds the system from the expansion tank in your loft.

do a search for blocked cold feed

Regards

Thanks for the replies - I will check out the 'blocked cold feed'

weareleeds - the pump has been fitted the same way round it always was before the problems

It is upside down but that shouldn't make a difference should it? As long as it pumps in the right direction?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
It should not be fitted upside down :eek:
Slacken the nuts and put it side on or bleed screw on top.

Hang on, to a DIYer "upside down" means the label writing is upside down.

The installer should have rotated the label!

The pumping direction is shown by an arrow on the side of the impellor casting.

On systems since about 1975 and some before this all pumped AWAY from the boiler. Its ALWAYS TOWARDS the motorised valve(s) if any.

Tony

Well spotted, Tony

I am a DIYer and it's the writing on the pump that's upside down.

It's definitely pumping towards the motorised valve.

Hot water not working now either but hopefully getting someone round tonight to take a look.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back