one radiator not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One radiator downstairs has ceases to give off heat. It was working fine until wednesday but noting changed on that day.

On saturday I did bleed one radiator upstairs which is working fine as are all the others upstairs.

on the non functioning radiator downsatirs, if I close the return valve & remove it from the radiator I get hot water from the radiator so I know the radiator is not blocked. Is it possible to get back pressure? & if so how the hell do I get rid of it?

Advise please

Steve(not a plumber)
PS I bled the radiator upstairs with the pump off!

Sponsored Links
You haven't done nearly enough tests. For starters you should realize that you haven't tested the RETURN for blockages. Since HOT water came out, your diagnosis of the FLOW side is correct. Now repeat this the other way round. Close the flow valve instead.

The other thing you should have done right at the start was to try bleeding it - or maybe you did that.

try balance both the radiators i would think the radiator above is linked too one below try forcing the water down into this radiator by reducing the flow into upstairs radiator ,
I assume you don't have thermostatic radiator valves installed - on either radiators ?

If you do have a TRV it could be stuck ....

Sponsored Links
Felix

I already did check the return,that seems ok.
I did start by bleeding it. even now when I try to bleed I get cold water & no air.

Tech
I will try to reduce the upstairs radiator flow & try again as you suggest.

tech/oddy
I don't have trv's

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try techs suggestion & let you know.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back