CH on 24/7 v timed - results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Results are in

our 09 bill for 90days of winter CH is here.

552units of gas over 90days running it 24/7 @ 18. £226

Previous years 90 days was 30mins in morning and 5hrs in evening. About 19/20dC. That used 496units.

Pretty impressive really. Hardly used that much more gas but house is warm 24/7 which is a massive improvement over the shivers we had last year.

I was reading the meter weekly so i knew how it would turn out. The -11 spells really affected it.

This is in a 12yr old 4bed detached, UPVC DG, wall insulation, draft exclusion, composite ext. doors, 300+mm loft insulation.

Always read the meter but i reckon 24/7 running on gas units is no-where near as bad as some people make out.

Sponsored Links
your doing well only using 552 units in 90 days. i used 618 in 4 weeks but the bill was only 45 quid

I'm pleased because its not like we are suffering and having it freezing just to save money. Its lovely and warm all the time.

Every house is different, bigger / , with higher ceilings for example, less insulation. Most of the people i know in older houses even with 3 beds have had bills twice mine. One was a 3 bed semi victorian and they have it on timed and it was £410.

Regardless of the facts i believe adding cheap nylon hair draft excluders to the garage door on the hall and the kitchens back door made a big difference to hall drafts along with an extra layer of loft insulation which i laid in the opposite direction to the existing layer.

552units of gas over 90days running it 24/7 @ 18. £226

Previous years 90 days was 30mins in morning and 5hrs in evening. About 19/20dC. That used 496units.
That's an 11% increase in consumption = 11% more greenhouse gas.

Did you keep the temperature constant all 24 hours or did you turn it down at night; if so to what temperature?

PS is that gas meter "units" or kWh?

Sponsored Links
It was at a constant temp 24 hours a day.

I thought if i reduced it over night it would defeat having it on 24/7 as it needs to use a load of gas to get it back up to 18 from say 12.

i still dont understand how you can only use that small amount of gas! its amazing!

mines a 3 bed semi, with cavity wall insulation, 200mm loft insulation, new double glazing!

and i still used 618 in a month!

but my price is alot different! i only pay 6.5 p per unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back