CH on only RADS hot, but with HW on too downstairs RADS cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mad situtuation, have an open vented system with a pottertorn wall hung boiler downstairs not sure if itis combi etc, last year we had the circulating pump in the airing cabinet upstairs replaced as the boiler kept overheating and cutting out.....pump was not in a good way and gunked up (blockages), a year on I recently started to hear gushing noises at the pump in the airing cabinet and the result was the boiler would cut out after a few mins of operation. with no hot water or rads as a result.

Plumber would not come round and he told me to drain at the lowest point the whole system and flush with cold water(no change), he said the cold feed from the F&E in the loft was blocked, he asked me to cut it and prod about in the T where it joines the outlet off the boiler to get rid of any blockage, I refilled the system from the header tank and this made me sure that the cold feed was supplying and filling the system as emptying the system with the ballcock tied back eventually resulted in an empty F&e tank.

I repeated the procedure numerous times and both drained and then back flushed with mains pressure from the drain off point and the F&e tank ended up with sediment from the vent pipe that feeds in over it....

I turned on the potterton boiler set the CH to ON and set it to mark 2 on the boiler and within a few minutes ALL rads started to heat up....gr8

I kept this up for 3 days turning the CH on each morning and evening for a total of 5 hours a day, BUT when I turned on the HW on in conjunction with the CH it knocked out all the radiators downstairs and they eventually became cold. Could this be because I have yet to balance the rads? all of them upstairs have their lockshields valves open fully as well as the adjusting valves on them, could reducing the flow between these increase the circulation downstairs? any help much appreciated, not sure if I have a primatic cylinder either? there is nothing stamped on it to say so as suggested in this forum....

Sponsored Links
System needs cleaning, full of sludge. Search forum on subject, loads of posts. Always better to run dhw and ch at different times

thanks, system must be clean thohg, if all the rads came on in no time, then the circulation must be good, perhaps the route from the HWcyliner outlet is the issue, but not sure how this stops all the rads downstairs from downstairs from coming on?would having the rads balanced as currently yhey are not, woud it help?

Sponsored Links
Have you a gate valve in th dhw circuit to balance it down? Is the pump on a fast enough speed, or is the pump tired?

Is the ch zone valve partially blocked?

Go back to simple basics on this I think first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back