chainsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a stilh ms 180 chainsaw it starts and runs well , after about 10 mins it seems to have no power ,it revs ok but as soon as i try to cut with it the engine stutters and sometimes cuts out , she fires back up ok and maybe ok for a while then does it again , i used her this morning and she was ok then i put her down and had a bite to eat ,then started her and she was ok for about 10 mins and she started to play up again ,
she is only about 3months old , i have changed the plug and put fresh fuel in but she still does it . i have had stilh saws for many years but never had this problem .anybody have any ideas

Sponsored Links
I don't know much about 2 stroke engines. If it is only a few months old is it not still under warranty?

Sounds as though the mixture is going weak, I think it has two adjusting screws, one for idle and one for full power, you could try adjusting it but if its OK when cold I think it must be a fault. I wonder if the tank vent is blocked, try unscrewing the filler cap next time it does it and see if it runs OK.

Peter

Did you run her in? New saws should have a full tank of juice and be left ticking over on the lawn until she runs dry. Before you start cutting stuff.
I presume you are using the right 2 stroke mix, and not just chucking a splash in without measuring it?

Sponsored Links
Check the tightness of all the gaskets, two stroke engines need crankcase pressure to work as they should.

Wotan

I'm asuming there will be a vent for the fuel tank somewhere. Could it be blocked and creating a vacuum in the tank. When it does it again loosen the cap to break vacuum and see if it helps. :D

Did you run her in? New saws should have a full tank of juice and be left ticking over on the lawn until she runs dry. Before you start cutting stuff.

Not heard that before, what's the source?

Certainly nobody I knew in the game did that.

Me neither - although its probably not a bad idea. I just give them light(ish) work for the first few goes, then its business as usual.
John :)

Not heard that before, what's the source?

Certainly nobody I knew in the game did that.

My mate (arb) always does it with his new tools, dunno who told him, probably one of his college tutors or one of the old timers he started out with.

Ever thought it may not be the engine but something else maybe ceasing when hot, maybe something has got caught up in the chain mechanism causing overheating when in use then causing the engine to stall or the chain needs some lube..

Sponsored Links
Back